Marek’s disease or injury? Please help

har97

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
I have a silkie someone gave me because their flock was picking on her and she seems to not be able to walk she sits and backs up while flapping her wings and she keeps one foot forward like in the picture not sure if she’s injured from their flock constantly picking on her and pecking her or if she’s sick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 18
I have a silkie someone gave me because their flock was picking on her and she seems to not be able to walk she sits and backs up while flapping her wings and she keeps one foot forward like in the picture not sure if she’s injured from their flock constantly picking on her and pecking her or if she’s sick.
Very, very likely Marek's.. giving it to you straight. Her flock was going to eliminate the weakest link. :hmm

Many birds can get Marek's and recover seemingly. This type of limping is NOT caused by hawk attacks. Do you feel any heat or swelling in the leg that indicates an injury? Did the re-homer disclose the bird was unable to walk? How long have you had her? She doesn't really look "bullied" to me, to any point that it would be important.. but do you know what the other home was feeding including treats and supplements? I don't truly believe it's a nutrient deficit.. but anything is possible and that's the first go to for folks who are hopeful it might be something else than disease.

Do you have birds of your own?

Check below her vent and on her abdomen for angry red skin, any dirt clumps stuck to the base of feathers, etc.. looking for parasites.. doing so in the dark with a flash light can give the clearest picture.

Is her vent clear of droppings.. Is she able to stay clean? Some folks will try a sling, depending on how well the bird tolerates it..
1603473586571.png

1603473620108.png

Are you willing to care for a special needs bird long term if she doesn't recover? Will you be sending her in for necropsy to confirm or rule out Marek's.. I have links to help. Sorry you face this. Hope she improves! :fl

ETA: After seeing the video that posted, and considering other factors.. it's *possible* it could be neurological damage from the bullying.. I never experienced personally despite having a huge mixed flock with Silkies.. but things do happen sometimes.

Last edited:
one of my chickens did that for a while to, we deduced she had been attacked by a hawk and was limping for a few days, but now she is fine so don't worry unless, she is like this for more then a week or two

that's a bit how ours walked so I think you should try to pick her up and see if there is any bleeding and I do think she has been attacked by something but she should heal with time.

if there's bleeding you should probably keep her away from the other chickens because they will peck at the color red and make the injury worse. hope she heals soon!:) just read the other comments I really thought it wa a hawk sorry I didn't help you better.

Very, very likely Marek's.. giving it to you straight. Her flock was going to eliminate the weakest link. :hmm

Many birds can get Marek's and recover seemingly. This type of limping is NOT caused by hawk attacks. Do you feel any heat or swelling in the leg that indicates an injury? Did the re-homer disclose the bird was unable to walk? How long have you had her? She doesn't really look "bullied" to me, to any point that it would be important.. but do you know what the other home was feeding including treats and supplements? I don't truly believe it's a nutrient deficit.. but anything is possible and that's the first go to for folks who are hopeful it might be something else than disease.

Do you have birds of your own?

Check below her vent and on her abdomen for angry red skin, any dirt clumps stuck to the base of feathers, etc.. looking for parasites.. doing so in the dark with a flash light can give the clearest picture.

Is her vent clear of droppings.. Is she able to stay clean? Some folks will try a sling, depending on how well the bird tolerates it..
View attachment 2384275
View attachment 2384277
Are you willing to care for a special needs bird long term if she doesn't recover? Will you be sending her in for necropsy to confirm or rule out Marek's.. I have links to help. Sorry you face this. Hope she improves! :fl

ETA: After seeing the video that posted, and considering other factors.. it's *possible* it could be neurological damage from the bullying.. I never experienced personally despite having a huge mixed flock with Silkies.. but things do happen sometimes.
I don’t see or feel anything wrong in her legs they didn’t tell me she was currently unable to walk just that she had got to where she limped and they had a vet look at her thinking it was possibly a parasite and they treated her with antibiotics and then added her back to their flock and within a week she was limping again and then they witnessed their birds holding her down and scratching and pecking her so they removed her and decided to give her away so their birds wouldn’t kill her I do have other chickens but she’s not with them I’m hoping it’s an injury that heals with time not a disease I’m able to take care of her with her current conditions even if they’re permanent shes not completely helpless she can get to food and water on her own and seems to enjoy still pecking at the ground

she limped and they had a vet look at her thinking it was possibly a parasite and they treated her
And even the vet couldn't identify an injury..

I would at least offer a nutritional supplement.. to support her own immune system.. Do you happen to already have a human B complex that includes riboflavin on hand at home? Access to TSC or other feed store near by?

Do you know how old she is?

How old are your other birds, were they vaccinated against Marek's? It usually only THIS symptom in young birds.. most older flock will not develop lameness.. But there are many causes of neurological disorder that look very similar to Marek's.. The lab does microscopic testing to discern differences and correlate their findings to age, body condition etc..
Marek's Virus FAQ

Testing isn't required if you don't wanna know.. It isn't considered re-portable even in NPIP flock or a threat to the national food supply chain. There are test that can be ran on a feather, but I'm unsure of how accurate they are. According to the state poultry vet at UC Davis in California.. MDv is in every poultry keeping environment. You could contact your state lab and just discuss it with them if you want.. List valid if you're in the US..
State poultry labs

Sometimes it stinks that it seems no good deed goes unpunished.. But I hope she thrives and the rest of your flock does too! :hugs

And even the vet couldn't identify an injury..

I would at least offer a nutritional supplement.. to support her own immune system.. Do you happen to already have a human B complex that includes riboflavin on hand at home? Access to TSC or other feed store near by?

Do you know how old she is?

How old are your other birds, were they vaccinated against Marek's? It usually only THIS symptom in young birds.. most older flock will not develop lameness.. But there are many causes of neurological disorder that look very similar to Marek's.. The lab does microscopic testing to discern differences and correlate their findings to age, body condition etc..
Marek's Virus FAQ

Testing isn't required if you don't wanna know.. It isn't considered re-portable even in NPIP flock or a threat to the national food supply chain. There are test that can be ran on a feather, but I'm unsure of how accurate they are. According to the state poultry vet at UC Davis in California.. MDv is in every poultry keeping environment. You could contact your state lab and just discuss it with them if you want.. List valid if you're in the US..
State poultry labs

Sometimes it stinks that it seems no good deed goes unpunished.. But I hope she thrives and the rest of your flock does too! :hugs
Im not sure I have any on hand but I’ll check I love about 30 mins from town. They told me she was 4 months the rest of my flock is around 5-6 months and not vaccinated as far as I know but I’m keeping her separate

Back
Top Bottom