Marek’s Disease? Something Else? Please help!

Starburst

Jesus Loves You
May 25, 2020
Western Washington
Hey, everyone! I hope you all are doing well! :hugs
I just noticed that my beloved Silkie, Mochi, was acting strange. She kept stretching her neck and making strange noises, kind of like she had a respiratory problem. She was also passing green feces. I also noticed that she was constantly looking like she was preening, but would sometimes stretch her neck abnormally and twist it while doing this Mochi would also slip, and sometimes go into the splits. Her eyes look clear, and she appears to be pretty alert. She’s been broody, so she hasn’t been with the flock much, but when I take her out, she’ll still go and eat and drink water, and scratch around in the dirt.
All that said, I’m pretty sure that something’s off. Even though I think she was vaccinated when she was a chick, I’m worried that Mochi may have Marek’s….but I’m praying I’m wrong. Thank you so much for your help!

Here’s what her poop looks like:
72D96678-B9A5-4A91-81B4-0C3AE99E2248.jpeg

Mochi:
0E33BC03-36ED-4A96-BE10-AC45D96034A7.jpeg

6DF7B34E-5E0F-42C4-AF18-ABDFA628DF60.jpeg

Try not to worry. I don't see any symptoms of Marek's at this time. And her poop couldn't appear any healthier.

Being broody, though, she may have a vitamin deficiency. If you have Poultry Nutri-drench, give her a few drops of that each day for a few days. You might also add a vitamin E capsule 400iu for a few days with some cooked egg.

It would be helpful if you have the capability of taking a video of her actions, and post it to You Tube then copy the URL and paste that here. Then we can get a better idea of how she's acting. We might see something else that can tell us what's going on.

Try not to worry. I don't see any symptoms of Marek's at this time. And her poop couldn't appear any healthier.

Being broody, though, she may have a vitamin deficiency. If you have Poultry Nutri-drench, give her a few drops of that each day for a few days. You might also add a vitamin E capsule 400iu for a few days with some cooked egg.

It would be helpful if you have the capability of taking a video of her actions, and post it to You Tube then copy the URL and paste that here. Then we can get a better idea of how she's acting. We might see something else that can tell us what's going on.
Thank you so much for your help! The help you provide when my chickens fall hill is really so valuable!
Her last few poops were foamier, though still green in color. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow if she has the same type of poop when it's less dark. We have plenty of Nutri-Drench from last time our chickens fell ill (When Ponyo, my RIR, was really sick, as you may remember. I still can't thank you enough for the help you gave during that hard time. :hugs)
I'll be sure to give Mochi the Nutri-Drench, and I'll see if I can get some Vitamin E for her, and I'll make sure to offer her some cooked eggs.
I would love to get a video for you, but I do not have YouTube or other platforms for uploading videos onto BYC at this time. I will see if I can get that setup, though.
Thank you so much!

Hey! Sorry for the late reply! She seems to be doing pretty good - I haven't noticed her stumbling as much, though she has slipped occasionally. She also hasn't made the weird noise, as far as I can tell. I'll be sure to get a video of her doing that if she does it again...she is still happily brooding on nothing (because she doesn't care if she's actually sitting on eggs or not :rolleyes:) But she's still coming out for food and water as needed. I'll be keeping you guys updated. Thank you so much for your help!

Update: Mochi’s poop is returning to a more normal shade, and looks healthy overall. She also isn’t stumbling as much or making the weird noise…it looks like she’s getting better! (I’ll let you all know if anything changes)

Back
Top Bottom