Marek' s disease

Luck 56

Hatching
Feb 6, 2021
One of my chickens I believe has Marek's disease. Five months old lost use of legs.
I know there is no cure what can I do to protect my other four Hens? One is five months and the other three are 10 months old.
None of my other chickens are showing any synthons.
Thanks and God Bless
Luck

Welcome to BYC!
Unfortunately there's absolutely nothing you can do to prevent your other four chickens from getting it.

Are you in the US?

Have you gotten testing to know if that’s the final diagnosis? Vitamin deficiencies can cause birds to lose the use of their legs. Have you brought in any new birds?

Welcome to BYC!
Unfortunately there's absolutely nothing you can do to prevent your other four chickens from getting it.

Are you in the US?
Yes I am in California.
Thanks for your reply.
Cleaned coup again. Trying to do my best to keep my other hens from breathing any of the sick hens dust. Had to lay my sick Hen to rest.

Yes I am in California.
Thanks for your reply.
Cleaned coup again. Trying to do my best to keep my other hens from breathing any of the sick hens dust. Had to lay my sick Hen to rest.
Did you know you can get a cheap necropsy done by your state lab so you know exactly what you are dealing with.

Yes I am in California.
Thanks for your reply.
I applaud your efforts but its futile. You could burn it down and it wont matter. Get the necropsy to confirm MD. Then you will know for sure how to proceed.

So sorry for your loss. Cleaning and keeping your current hens comfortable and stress free is never a waste of time! A lot of Mareks strains mostly cause immune suppression, making the infected birds very susceptible to disease during times of stress. A lot of people think there is a lot to do with viral loads, as well, so cleaning ultimately cannot hurt.

Are all of your hens 5 months old? Are they laying eggs yet? What was the progression of issues that you noticed?

Back
Top Bottom