Mareks diagnosed in “vaccinated” pullets

A

Tsc doesn't vac chicks it would cost them more then they sell them for and they sell males as str run

Straight run is unsexed. Hard to believe that majority are roos randomly. A few friends also got straight runs and the majority were roos. I've gotten straight runs from McMurray's hatchery and they were always a pretty balanced mix of roos & pullets. Seems like they put more just to get rid of them and make $ of them instead of a loss.

Straight run is unsexed. Hard to believe that majority are roos randomly. A few friends also got straight runs and the majority were roos. I've gotten straight runs from McMurray's hatchery and they were always a pretty balanced mix of roos & pullets. Seems like they put more just to get rid of them and make $ of them instead of a loss.
Statistics even out significantly with higher numbers and its really impossible to tell with small sample sizes.

Feeds stores usually don't sell vaccinated chicks, because it costs more. Anyone selling chicks vaccinated against Marek's disease will advertise them as such, loud and clear.
So sorry you are having this happen in your flock!
Mary

So now we've been removing and culling then as soon as they start to show signs. They are about 5 months old now. I'm praying we don't lose the whole flock, if anyone has any experience it input it would be greatly appreciated!
Very sorry you are facing this. :(

Immediate removal is the best option unfortunately. Are you in California also?

It should NOT impact your "older" birds. The best information available is all in that link in post #2 but I will provide it again..
Marek's Virus FAQ

Also.. keep nutrition balanced and not diminished with excess treats. My preference is a flock raiser with oyster shell on the side for active layers. While my molting birds are hardier and more resilient.. it has minimal impact on the disease itself... in fact many folks will use vitamins to treat for deficiency (which do help support the immune system even no deficiency is present) when symptoms present and when their bird recovers will presume not MDv. Some will be correct! But others will have Marek's birds.. that survived and may or may not present as the same (limping) or even another symptom (wasting) sometime down the road.

Good husbandry including monthly external after dark parasite (lice mites) checks, and treating for intestinal parasite IF needed or getting a fecal float to confirm species (many will never be seen by the naked eye) and load count before treating will HELP to support your birds own immune systems.. very often when one part starts to go others are sliding as well.. inviting perfect storm situations.. stay on top of the issues YOU can and it will go a LONG way to over all good health and well being of your birds.. Noting that even though your do everything textbook correct.. other things are beyond our control.

You call it text book Marek's in your description, and are probably correct.. :barnie but have you sent in one for necropsy since many thing can look very similar? Links to help if wanted..
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

Since it is heartbreaking, getting only vaccinated chicks and quarantining them as required (if that's even truly possible) might be a good choice if you wish to add more in the future... Noting it only hides the symptoms, ultimately possibly preventing you from dealing with losing any more... presuming the vaccine is administered correctly as well. If buying from private supplier QUESTION their method!

Hang in there, it gets better. :hugs

:fl

ETA: I've bought straight run all kinds.. and in small numbers even got all 3 pullets! But it does even out once the sample size becomes larger.

Back
Top Bottom