Marek's disease in two year old hens?

cshellbell

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Hi all,
I have two different two year old hens and I am concerned they might have marek's disease. They have no symptoms, other than I've noticed their eyes have changed colors to a light greenish/blue color. They walk, eat, drink, and do everything normally. These were my first birds and I was an inexperienced owner who bought them as chicks from rural king. My boyfriend's mother already had chickens on our property when I added these chicks. I had no idea they could/should be vaccinated. I've read as much as I can find about the disease, but most articles talk about it affecting younger birds. Also, I've read it has a 100% mortality rate and it's suggested that the affected birds should be culled. I don't want to kill "normal" birds for no reason and I feel it's safe to assume my other birds are already exposed. What should I do with these two hens and how long can I expect them to live if this is truly what they have? I just can't find any good info about what to do when the disease is already present. Thanks!
P.S. We also moved six months ago and there is no way for me to keep wild birds out of the pen at this time.

I don't know about eye color changes.... but found this.

Your birds sound pretty healthy..

Different forms of Marek’s Disease:

Cutaneous form (skin form): Enlarged reddened feather follicles and white bumps on the skin that form brown crusty scabs.
Neural (nerve form): Progressive leg or wing paralysis - a typical leg-paralysis victim will have one leg extended forward and one leg extended back. A swelling of the sciatic nerve is the cause.. Other possible symptoms: Twisted neck, weight loss, labored breathing, eye lesions, vision impairment, diarrhea, starvation and death due to an inability to reach feed and water and to trampling by other chickens.

Hi all,
I have two different two year old hens and I am concerned they might have marek's disease. They have no symptoms, other than I've noticed their eyes have changed colors to a light greenish/blue color. They walk, eat, drink, and do everything normally. These were my first birds and I was an inexperienced owner who bought them as chicks from rural king. My boyfriend's mother already had chickens on our property when I added these chicks. I had no idea they could/should be vaccinated. I've read as much as I can find about the disease, but most articles talk about it affecting younger birds. Also, I've read it has a 100% mortality rate and it's suggested that the affected birds should be culled. I don't want to kill "normal" birds for no reason and I feel it's safe to assume my other birds are already exposed. What should I do with these two hens and how long can I expect them to live if this is truly what they have? I just can't find any good info about what to do when the disease is already present. Thanks!
P.S. We also moved six months ago and there is no way for me to keep wild birds out of the pen at this time.
What happened?

Great pictures! If they weren't always that color, it's almost certainly ocular Marek's. :( But try not to worry to much, they can live for many years with it.

Great pictures! If they weren't always that color, it's almost certainly ocular Marek's. :( But try not to worry to much, they can live for many years with it.
We just adopted her and her sister from a friend who doesn’t remember if the color changed or not. I’m worried that she’s going blind and may have infected my whole flock. She’s in quarantine but near the coop. :hit

We just adopted her and her sister from a friend who doesn’t remember if the color changed or not. I’m worried that she’s going blind and may have infected my whole flock. She’s in quarantine but near the coop. :hit
Where do you live?

Back
Top Bottom