Is this Marek's Disease?!

Keylime

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Northwest Arkansas
Hi, all. I have been keeping chickens for 12 years and have never seen anything like this. I have a flock of 18 hens.

Many of my chickens are sick, but they all have different symptoms. It started about two weeks ago: diarrhea, wasting, and pale combs in many of them. I dewormed, treated for mites/lice, gave vitamins and electrolytes, switched them to chick starter feed with probiotics. Then I noticed they were eating creeping cumbers that had grown over their run, and I read that they can be a laxative, so I figured that was the problem and immediately removed all of the vines and fruits. That was five days ago, but some of them still have diahrea. Sometimes it is pure clear liquid, sometime green, sometimes undigested food.

One of my hens seems totally fine except she is wasting away. Another one is lethargic sometimes, but still eating and drinking normally. One has diarrhea that often has what looks like teal pebbles. Then today, I noticed that one who is otherwise normal has become uncoordinated and trips every five minutes.

Egg production is at an all time low, but to complicate matters, many of them are molting.

If it's Marek's, would it come on suddenly with all of them like this?

My oldest hens are seven and four years old and they are showing no symptoms. The affected birds are all a little over a year old. Everyone is vaccinated.

Also, they got a coughing illness when they were pullets but recovered. I was guessed that it was viral bronchitis.

Please help.

You could call Poison Control (US) about the creeping cucumbers, which are not good for animals to eat. There are some flushes such as epsom salts or giving some drug store activated charcoal, but since it has been 5 days, I’m not sure if it is too late to work. I would try to get them all drinking fluids, eating some moistened feed and egg, and use some probiotics. If you lose one, contact your state vet for a necropsy. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

You could call Poison Control (US) about the creeping cucumbers, which are not good for animals to eat. There are some flushes such as epsom salts or giving some drug store activated charcoal, but since it has been 5 days, I’m not sure if it is too late to work. I would try to get them all drinking fluids, eating some moistened feed and egg, and use some probiotics. If you lose one, contact your state vet for a necropsy. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
So you think it is the creeping cucumber, not Marek's? How long can a toxin stay in their systems?

Because this is happening to multiple chickens at once, that might be a toxin. Have you seen any mold in their feed container? I am not a vet, and cannot tell you exactly what is happening, but I would try to rule out several things. Mareks is always a possibility, but it usually doesn’t happen to multiple chickens at once. It seems a long time ago to do a flush or charcoal, but you could try that. Flushes may cause diarrhea and dehydration though, which could cause some to become sicker. I would just try to keep them drinking and offer them food. Get a necropsy if you lose one. Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Did you bring any chicken (not including day old chicks from a hatchery) in within 1~3 months before this happens? If yes, it's possible being Marek's, but the chance is still small since they are all vaccinated and not very young. Most Marek's cases happen in young chickens less than 6 month old. It's really rare that several older chickens get sick from Marek's at the same time. What do you use to deworm? how many times did you repeat? DE or pumpkin seeds wouldn't do anything to deworm. Even when you use the appropriate medicines, it's important to retreat them in 10 days. Also check to see if mite/lice still there. Mites are very difficult to kill. The creeping cucumber poison could be the problem. Eggcessive has given you very good suggestions.

Did you bring any chicken (not including day old chicks from a hatchery) in within 1~3 months before this happens? If yes, it's possible being Marek's, but the chance is still small since they are all vaccinated and not very young. Most Marek's cases happen in young chickens less than 6 month old. It's really rare that several older chickens get sick from Marek's at the same time. What do you use to deworm? how many times did you repeat? DE or pumpkin seeds wouldn't do anything to deworm. Even when you use the appropriate medicines, it's important to retreat them in 10 days. Also check to see if mite/lice still there. Mites are very difficult to kill. The creeping cucumber poison could be the problem. Eggcessive has given you very good suggestions.
At this point, I'm hoping it was the cucumbers, and the underweight birds will fatten up soon. They are currently on chick starter feed with probiotics. The super skinny ones get scrambled eggs, too. I used one round of Wazine to deworm and looked for worms in the stool after treatment and didn't see any. I cleaned and treated the coop with DE and rubbed it on the birds' backs and vent area. Will repeat this weekend.

No new birds in a year. All birds are eating and drinking well. I don't think there was mold in their food because half the flock, including my teacup silkie, are fine. On inspection, I did notice that the hen that has been tripping had severe bumble foot on both feet. So did two others-one that has been lethargic and one that is fine--I removed the bumble foot from all three. I know bumble foot can cause limping. Can bumble foot cause wasting?

Bumblefoot, if it caused lameness and made it hard to get around, might cause a loss of weight. Did you see any lice or mites on the birds?

Bumblefoot, if it caused lameness and made it hard to get around, might cause a loss of weight. Did you see any lice or mites on the birds?
I did def see lice on one bird, and I rubbed everyone with DE seven days ago and will repeat today. Is DE totally affective on lice? How soon should I see weight gain after treatment? Everyone is eating and drinking, but they seem ravenous. It could be my imagination. I gave the sickest hen oral ivermectin in the event she has tapeworms. I have not seen any worms in stool.

As to the bumble foot crew, I have them locked up in a small hospital coop, but I do not have a hospital run, and if I let them out of the coop, they will get in the dirt again. How long should I keep them out of the run?

I did def see lice on one bird, and I rubbed everyone with DE seven days ago and will repeat today. Is DE totally affective on lice? How soon should I see weight gain after treatment? Everyone is eating and drinking, but they seem ravenous. It could be my imagination. I gave the sickest hen oral ivermectin in the event she has tapeworms. I have not seen any worms in stool.

As to the bumble foot crew, I have them locked up in a small hospital coop, but I do not have a hospital run, and if I let them out of the coop, they will get in the dirt again. How long should I keep them out of the run?
A Permethrin based poultry dust or spray would be more effective in treating a lice infestation than DE.

Back
Top Bottom