Marek's eye or bicolored?

jenn-

Chirping
Mar 5, 2015
Southern Alabama
Does this roo's eye look like Marek's or could he just be bicolored? He has no other symptoms but I do have one sick with God knows what.

I had a hen that at one point had a similar eye. But it started out looking like an infection of the area around the eye, with redness and swelling. The pupil then became weirdly shaped and then got bigger and bigger and no longer responded to light. She is three years old now and she can not see out of that eye and it is kind of cloudy with what looks like a huge pupil with a cataract.

Any other opinions? This is a life or death situation for two of my roos. My plan all along was to ship any roos I got out to my FIL's farm as I can't have them in town. If he has Marek's, then he obviously can't go spreading it and they will both be culled (because if one has it they both have been exposed) as soon as they crow.

Do you see any other signs? Lumps on the skin? Paralyzation of some kind? Extra appetite?
You should isolate them and keep a very strict biosecurity policy before and after you come to treat them(they always be the second in line, in your chores tour. change shoes before and after you treat them,always wash your hand after you treat them) until you will decide the final sedition. But if it is a question that have to be answered ASAP, where there is a doubt, there is NO doubt!
Good luck!

Do you see any other signs? Lumps on the skin? Paralyzation of some kind? Extra appetite?
You should isolate them and keep a very strict biosecurity policy before and after you come to treat them(they always be the second in line, in your chores tour. change shoes before and after you treat them,always wash your hand after you treat them) until you will decide the final sedition. But if it is a question that have to be answered ASAP, where there is a doubt, there is NO doubt!
Good luck!

Thank you for your reply. There are no other signs that I see. I feared Marek's for my randomly sick one, but her symptoms don't really match anymore. How fast do you think he would deteriorate if it is Marek's? They have until they crow before I have to make a decision. That could be in a few hours or a few weeks.

This is a question that I fined difficult to answer, it depend on many unconnected parameters, the breed of the chicken, the stress level it was expose to, prior the outbreak, the age,the overall condition of the bird, the virus strand, etc. if you have 2-3 weeks it is a reasonable period of time to get a definitive answer.

Back
Top Bottom