Marek's incubation

You can always vaccinate, even the sick one. It probably will not save him but, some studies have shown that the vaccine can help symptomatic birds.

I'm so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
Sometimes, it is best when it happens quickly.

I've been reading on this forum for an hour because it looks like my flock has been hit with Marek's too.

I have 7 new pullets ranging in age from a few weeks to 16 weeks. The youngest, a black sex link, is the sick one. I knew something wasn't right with her but couldn't see any symptoms I could report until today. She stumbles around and is holding one wing out now. At first I thought she was being bullied so I put her in a separate cage but still in with the other birds. I realize now this was a big mistake.

I will remove her but it's too late - the others have been exposed. I've read enough to know there is no cure but I would appreciate any info on the best steps I can take to keep the others from getting it (this, too, seems like a crap shoot from what I've read, right?).

This is the first time any of my birds have ever been sick so I'm completely uninformed about what to do. Should I vaccinate the others or is it too late? The little sick bird is eating and drinking and mostly mobile. What is the best I can do for her at this point?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There is no way, sorry, that anyone can make a Marek's diagnosis without a necropsy. Without one, there are several other diseases that can present and spread like Marek's, you just do not know what you are dealing with. There would be no way that I would accept a diagnosis of Marek's without it being confirmed through necropsy. It is a terrible disease that will effect you and your flock for the rest of your days. Please, have a necropsy performed so that you will know what it actually going on.
My cousin works for a vet that confirmed. I also have a third starting symptoms

Yhe diagnosis of Marek's disease in a flock depends on a post-mortem exam and path report; my young chick with neurological signs turned out to have something entirely different! Your state lab or university path lab is worth the money spent, and then you can plan depending on results. Mary

Back
Top Bottom