Marek's Infected Chicks

klohman

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2015
Illinois
We recently bought 6 new pullets for our coop. We bought them at a local supply store and when my husband went in today, the woman mentioned that the chicks had Marek's Disease. She couldn't give us much information, but the store still had all of their chicks and she didn't want to tell anyone in management for fear she would get in trouble! This seems crazy to me that she would risk all these chickens and coops they may go to by not telling.....but she has been wrong about chickens many times before.

My question - is it safe to eventually combine these birds with our coop? We have 12 chickens currently between 1-2 years of age. Right now, the pullets live in a brooder in the garage so they are separate. We bought 3 pullets the first week of February, and 3 more about a week later. If she said one of the flocks was affected (but wasn't sure which ones) wouldn't we be seeing signs in our brooder since they were in two different shipments to the store?

I hate to cull any of our chicks, but I would rather not have to cull my entire flock that I'm rather attached to. Any help is greatly appreciated!
smile.png

We got the chick's first week of February so 4-5 weeks old. She said the place she ordered them from missed a few of them when vaccinating so the entire flock they got shpiped in was affected. I have no idea how she would know that, or why she thinks they have it. Like I said, she didn't give many details which is frustrating.

We got the chick's first week of February so 4-5 weeks old. She said the place she ordered them from missed a few of them when vaccinating so the entire flock they got shpiped in was affected. I have no idea how she would know that, or why she thinks they have it. Like I said, she didn't give many details which is frustrating.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/869922/mareks-in-5-week-old-chick
This thread may be helpful to you...also see post #9 in this thread. I have read on BYC that Mareks is not detectable in day old chicks, and thus I am not sure how she would be saying day old chicks were Mareks positive unless she was worried about the flock they came from.

I am not really able to give advice on this as I haven't dealt with it, but please do exercise caution if you feel it is needed.

We recently bought 6 new pullets for our coop. We bought them at a local supply store and when my husband went in today, the woman mentioned that the chicks had Marek's Disease. .....My question - is it safe to eventually combine these birds with our coop....?
Pretty much every chicken on Earth has been exposed to the Mareks virus.

Mareks Disease is a form of cancer or tumors that can affect any tissue in a chickens' body.

Mareks Disease can be spread almost any way but one of the most common ways is through the dandruff shed as a chicken grows new feathers and the sheath that surrounds the blood or pin feathers is shed. This makes Mareks Disease very mobile because the dandruff is carried on the wind.

Exposure and an active form of Mareks are not the same thing. Any chick inoculated against Mareks at the hatchery has been exposed, however there are many kinds or strains of Mareks and inoculations given at the hatchery are usually given only for the strain of Mareks most prevalent in your local.

Chickens can absolutely positively not be cured of Mareks Disease. Any Mareks positive bird that lives or recovers (becomes un-symptomatic) will remain a spreader of Mareks Disease for as long as that chicken lives, and then some.

Back
Top Bottom