Mareks? Maran unable to walk/pale comb/labored breathing

Thanks. I’m pretty sure , after reading that, that the bird does have Mareks. There is a necropsy provider not too far from me. I’m just hoping that the whole flock isn’t wiped out.

It would be good to get a diagnosis if it is affordable. If you don’t get a necropsy, I would assume that it is Mareks and close your flock to new birds or any going out of your flock, since all would be considered carriers. Marek can remain in the environment for years after all birds are gone. Many people with Mareks in their flocks breed the non-affected birds. A lot depends on how bad the particular strain of Mareks is, when the chicken was exposed, and other things. It is a good idea to get any new chickens vaccinated and kept free of any exposure to dander or dust around the coop for at least 2 weeks.

It would be good to get a diagnosis if it is affordable. If you don’t get a necropsy, I would assume that it is Mareks and close your flock to new birds or any going out of your flock, since all would be considered carriers. Marek can remain in the environment for years after all birds are gone. Many people with Mareks in their flocks breed the non-affected birds. A lot depends on how bad the particular strain of Mareks is, when the chicken was exposed, and other things. It is a good idea to get any new chickens vaccinated and kept free of any exposure to dander or dust around the coop for at least 2 weeks.

Yeah it really sucks. I actually feel kind of bad keeping her alive with water and food as she deteriorated.

Yeah it really sucks. I actually feel kind of bad keeping her alive with water and food as she deteriorated.

So sorry to hear that she deteriorated. The big Marek's FAQ post from these forums is incredibly helpful and guided me through my diagnosis. Then the necropsy provided the definitive diagnosis.

When my Maran contracted and was lost to this in December, I had a flock of 5 and none were vaccinated. I isolated her in the last 2 days but all were exposed. After she passed, I did a DEEP clean and soak with Vikron-s throughout the entire run and coop house (follow product instructions). I took out as much of the top soil that I could and got new feeders and waterers. It's not possible to eradicate but I think managing the environment and stress is the best you can do to reduce losses. I just lost my 2nd hen this week and sent her off for necropsy and I'm fairly certain she succumbed to Marek's symptoms several months later.

Don't feel bad for keeping her comfortable - once you know what you're dealing with it will help you recognize in the future. In the end, my gals passed in a warm and comfortable environment being cared for.

Back
Top Bottom