Marek's or Avain Leukosis- coop/run sanitation

Jezalilly

Songster
Jun 28, 2018
I lost my Precious Parmesan a couple of weeks ago. I had a necropsy done because I was worried about her 5 sisters.
The vet explained the rest of the flock is either infected or a carrier and I can't add any new girls because they will, at best, become a carrier. The vet said a long a my girls aren't showing symptoms they are fine, so I don't want to euthanize.
I am planning on letting these girls live out their lives being loved.
My question is, once they have all gone to the Rainbow Bridge, how do I sanitize Chickentopia so that I can start a new flock safely?
Pic of Chickentopia attached for reference. And RIP my sweet Parmesan... you were a very good girl.

Attachments

• 20201215_110104.jpg
    20201215_110104.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4751.jpg
    IMG_4751.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 2
Maybe visit your local animal shelter in the meantime and find some needy dogs to go on regular walks with etc. I am sure they would love you to cuddle them also...
I'm actually a volunteer with our local parish shelter. Haven't been awhile due to shoulder surgery, but I love my time with those fireballs! I currently have 2 K9 foster fails...lol..I.... I'm not allowed to bring anything else alive home "for just a night or two"....😁🤣🤣

They say it can live for years (plural) in the soil. So honestly a year is not much time to me. I'm very cautious though.
Thank you for your replies! I wouldn't knowingly do anything to put any girls in harm's way. EVER! Is this the same advice you'd give for either diagnosis? Would it matter if it was Merek's vs Avian Leukosis?
If so, I would've done the extra testing to find out which one it was but the vet said it wasn't necessary if I'm not going to euthanize the entire flock regardless of disposition.

Thank you for your replies! I wouldn't knowingly do anything to put any girls in harm's way. EVER! Is this the same advice you'd give for either diagnosis? Would it matter if it was Merek's vs Avian Leukosis?
If so, I would've done the extra testing to find out which one it was but the vet said it wasn't necessary if I'm not going to euthanize the entire flock regardless of disposition.
I would much rather deal with AVL.

From the Merck Veterinary Manual:

"Transmission can be reduced or eliminated by strict sanitation. After the infection is eradicated, standard disease control and sanitation practices can keep chicken flocks free of the disease."

I would much rather deal with AVL.

From the Merck Veterinary Manual:

"Transmission can be reduced or eliminated by strict sanitation. After the infection is eradicated, standard disease control and sanitation practices can keep chicken flocks free of the disease."
Ok... I'd like to figure out if both are as difficult to eradicate... if so, then I need to do further testing on my girls to see which it is...

Ok... I'd like to figure out if both are as difficult to eradicate... if so, then I need to do further testing on my girls to see which it is...
And all my OG girls were supposedly vaccinated when I bought them as 2 day old babies. I let Joana hatch 10 eggs... those are the only mystery factors.

Back
Top Bottom