Marek's or Avain Leukosis- coop/run sanitation

Jezalilly

Songster
Jun 28, 2018
I lost my Precious Parmesan a couple of weeks ago. I had a necropsy done because I was worried about her 5 sisters.
The vet explained the rest of the flock is either infected or a carrier and I can't add any new girls because they will, at best, become a carrier. The vet said a long a my girls aren't showing symptoms they are fine, so I don't want to euthanize.
I am planning on letting these girls live out their lives being loved.
My question is, once they have all gone to the Rainbow Bridge, how do I sanitize Chickentopia so that I can start a new flock safely?
Pic of Chickentopia attached for reference. And RIP my sweet Parmesan... you were a very good girl.

Attachments

• 20201215_110104.jpg
    20201215_110104.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4751.jpg
    IMG_4751.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 2
I'm so sorry for your losses. ❤️ If you can, it may be worth having the vet send a sample out to confirm Marek's vs. ALV. ALV doesn't live as long in the environment. Unfortunately, I have both in my flock, despite original girls being vaccinated. I've read somewhere that Marek's vaccinations in ALV carriers can actually worsen outcome if exposed to Marek's (and it's everywhere). Likely about to lose my 3rd of 5 original girls in just a few months. I really hope you don't have both.

I think additional testing is worth it if you are interested to know about resting the land. But perhaps shouldn't matter in most cases if you vaccinate new chicks to Marek's. I'm not a Marek's expert, but we currently have a closed flock and don't know if I will be adding more. It's been devastating.
I'm so sorry about your girls! My guess is you're like me and watch for signs all day, every day. I do that just to make sure none of my girls suffer, but I'm not euthanizing the flock for "maybe"

Maybe visit your local animal shelter in the meantime and find some needy dogs to go on regular walks with etc. I am sure they would love you to cuddle them also...
I'm actually a volunteer with our local parish shelter. Haven't been awhile due to shoulder surgery, but I love my time with those fireballs! I currently have 2 K9 foster fails...lol..I.... I'm not allowed to bring anything else alive home "for just a night or two"....😁🤣🤣

They say it can live for years (plural) in the soil. So honestly a year is not much time to me. I'm very cautious though.
Thank you for your replies! I wouldn't knowingly do anything to put any girls in harm's way. EVER! Is this the same advice you'd give for either diagnosis? Would it matter if it was Merek's vs Avian Leukosis?
If so, I would've done the extra testing to find out which one it was but the vet said it wasn't necessary if I'm not going to euthanize the entire flock regardless of disposition.

I'm so sorry for your losses. ❤️ If you can, it may be worth having the vet send a sample out to confirm Marek's vs. ALV. ALV doesn't live as long in the environment. Unfortunately, I have both in my flock, despite original girls being vaccinated. I've read somewhere that Marek's vaccinations in ALV carriers can actually worsen outcome if exposed to Marek's (and it's everywhere). Likely about to lose my 3rd of 5 original girls in just a few months. I really hope you don't have both.

I think additional testing is worth it if you are interested to know about resting the land. But perhaps shouldn't matter in most cases if you vaccinate new chicks to Marek's. I'm not a Marek's expert, but we currently have a closed flock and don't know if I will be adding more. It's been devastating.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this... I just want to do the right thing for all my girls... current and future... moving forward.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this... I just want to do the right thing for all my girls... current and future... moving forward.
Same here. ❤️ I'd do anything to give these girls best quality of life. At another time I might be more optimistic, hopefulness ebbs and flows over here. If it's just ALV you might have good luck with your flock, especially if exposure happened later. I found a study awhile back that correlates age of exposure with mortality rates. 1 day old exposure was, I believe, >50%, while 8+ weeks was ~7%. @azygous has added older pullets to their flock rather successfully, though has had less success with hatching.

Marek's alone could be possible to manage with vaccination or disease resistance. Both ALV + Marek's is a bit more grim.

Back
Top Bottom