Mareks or Not?

missjoyg

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2021
I have a 4 year old Rhode Island Red that is having bright green poop. I have read until my head hurts about Mareks and symptoms. She looks great! Only symptoms are bright green poop and she does lay in the yard. However, she is still eating and drinking and seems fine. She has recently (past couple of months) become the low chicken in the pecking order. She is clearly afraid of the leader. Could this just be stress? Thanks for any help!

Does she still lay eggs? Is her tail position up or down? Is her crop emptying overnight, then filling up during the day? Has she lost weight or does she have an enlarged lower belly under her vent? Can you post a picture of her poops, and of her? At her age a reproductive disorder, crop problem, or other problem might cause a poor appetite and green poops. Will she eat some scrambled eggs bits and wet chicken feed? Have you ever had a lame chicken that dided of unknown reasons? Why do you ask about Mareks? Green poops are usually from not eating enough.

I will take some pics when I get home shortly. She is eating fine when allowed to eat by the other chickens. I only have three. Everything that I can tell is ok. I have picked her up felt all the necessary places and such.

Sooo when I got home her tail feathers are down. She’s fluffing up and I can’t tell if that is because I was messing with her or not. She feels like she is starving to death. I mean skin and bones. No extremely neon green diarrhea that I saw. I can’t tell who is laying. Their egg production is way down and they all lay in the same hutch. Also, we have had cold snap so no one layer today. I usually get about 6-8 a week now.

Attachments

• IMG_5785.jpeg
    IMG_5785.jpeg
    589.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5787.jpeg
    IMG_5787.jpeg
    543.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5789.jpeg
    IMG_5789.jpeg
    716.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5781.jpeg
    IMG_5781.jpeg
    762.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5784.jpeg
    IMG_5784.jpeg
    632 KB · Views: 7
They eat organic layer feed and lay crumble. Now that it is getting cooler I will start throwing out super scratch a few times a week.

Layer or all flock feed is perfectly balanced and all they need. Scratch grains are not balanced, have little protein, and it is not true that more carbs or scratch will keep chickens warm in winter. A good balanced diet is what they need. An occasional treat of cooked eggs might be good. When a chicken is losing weight, I would look to see if her crop is emptying by early morning, think about worming with Valbazen or SafeGuard orally, and consider that she could possibly have cancer.

Have you ever wormed them? What does her crop feel like? Green poops can mean an infection or lack of eating.
Her crop feels empty. Like I said she is so skinny that you can feel everything. I have not dewormed. However, I will get some today and do that for all my girls.
Thank you!

Layer or all flock feed is perfectly balanced and all they need. Scratch grains are not balanced, have little protein, and it is not true that more carbs or scratch will keep chickens warm in winter. A good balanced diet is what they need. An occasional treat of cooked eggs might be good. When a chicken is losing weight, I would look to see if her crop is emptying by early morning, think about worming with Valbazen or SafeGuard orally, and consider that she could possibly have cancer.
Thanks! I hate to think of cancer. I will get deworming done today for all three. Thank you also for debunking the scratch theory. I don't give that alone. They always have their feed. I just throw out a little scratch here and there.

Back
Top Bottom