Mareks ugh

apbgv

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Iowa
Last wknd I noted one of my oegb mixes acting off well by tues she couldn't stand, took her to work with me. My boss calls the poultry vet at ISU-sounds like mareks, thurs my boss is going down there any how for a professors retirement so off she goes for euth and necropsy. Gross necropsy indicates mareks, we will have definite results monday. Hoping the rest of my girls stay healthy.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no more get sick. Marek's is such a terrible thing to have to deal with. I'm sorry. Let us know what the test results show.

Mareks is inherited from the broodfowl. Usually will show up at 3 to 6 months old. Limping, weak legs, blindness or bad vision are all symptoms. Read up on it.

I lost two banty hens early this year from what the vet thought was Marecks....the pathologist said Mareck's or lymphoid leukosis. Given the symptoms and the vet saying she saw nerve tumors, I'm going with Marecks. Ugh, it was a sad time. Learned a lot about chickens, not to mention breeders, at that time.

Hope the rest of yours are ok.

Back
Top Bottom