Mareks Vaccine Question

sara1226

Songster
Apr 15, 2015
Northern Wisconsin
A state lab has done 2 necropsies for me and concluded that I have Mareks in my flock. There was an initial blood test done which had come back negative. The vet was confused about how that test was negative and the pathologist explained that the blood test only checks for the most common strain of Mareks. I unfortunately have one of the less common strains. The pathologist also explained that there are different types of Mareks vaccines. Commonly some people use the cheaper vaccines to save money, but it only protects chickens against the most common strain NOT various strains. I now have to back track where my chickens came from and what type of vaccine they were given. I learned today that 3 of my chickens were vaccinated with a HVT Bursal vaccine.

Is anyone familiar with vaccines? Can someone please tell me if this vaccine works against multiple strains and not just one type?

I DO understand that even if it is for multiple strains my chickens might still all die. I know that vaccines don't always work... I'm just searching and praying for some glimmer of hope. I only have 1 left of the 6 I started with. I had repopulated BEFORE I realized I had this awful disease in my flock. Our chickens are loved by my whole family.. They are our pets and part of our family. I've only had chickens since May and this whole experience has been devastating!! Lost our favorite one Christmas morning, and lost my beautiful rooster this morning. Anyone who can share any knowledge with me or experiences with this is greatly appreciated!
1f622.png
1f622.png
1f622.png

I'm very sorry about your losses from Mareks disease. I have only read about the disease, and most say that the hatcheries have the strongest vaccines, and that the ones we can get from online stores is not as strong. One BYC member, Nambroth, is very knowledgable about Mareks, and has written the Mareks Faq that most people recommend reading. She could probably answer some of your questions if yoiu send her a PM.

I'm very sorry about your losses from Mareks disease. I have only read about the disease, and most say that the hatcheries have the strongest vaccines, and that the ones we can get from online stores is not as strong. One BYC member, Nambroth, is very knowledgable about Mareks, and has written the Mareks Faq that most people recommend reading. She could probably answer some of your questions if yoiu send her a PM.

Is there a way to tag that person in this thread perhaps?

Hi all those out there with Hens!
I have had a hen with Marek's Disease for over two and a half years now. I lost my first set of two hens to this condition within a week of each other. Not knowing what it was, and having inherited them, I thought it must've been old age..... I tried a year later with chicks I hatched in a little loaned incubator. Three of the four died just after they came on the lay with the same Marek's symptoms. Time to go onto the internet to figure out what IS this disease!..... Then the last one came down with it!
I'm a Lab Tech, and forever an experimenter. I thought...Hey! I've got nothing to lose! Knew that viruses can be dealt with, or at least held in check with a variety of natural remedies. Thought to myself .... kill or cure, I guess! I knew that time was of the essence. She was so paralysed that she couldn't walk anymore. She could just sit on one side with her leg outstretched. She could still eat a little, and drink.
I made up a [seriously bad tasting] mix of a capsule of olive leaf [extract equivalent to 5,000 mgs] garlic [extract equivalent to 1,200mgs] Andrographis [ extract equivalent to 1,200 mgs] Echinacea[extract equivalent to 500 mgs] Pau D'Arco[extract to 250 mgs] Citrus Bioflavenoids 20 mgs, Zinc Citrate 15 mgs, Elderberry 220mgs, Vitamin C 200 mgs. Here in New Zealand the brand is GO VIR - DEFENCE. The capsule was emptied into about 18 mls of water in a small bottle.[ I keep this in the fridge after I make it up]. I gave her approx half a ml of this, put her in my little greenhouse, with water and food close by, and had to go to work for the day. Initially she was too weak to fight and simply opened her beak and slowly squeezed it in allowing her to swallow a little at a time. I was convinced she would be dead by the time I arrived home. But NO! So I gave her another dose that night. The next day she had enough fight in her to struggle against the next dose, telling me that it must be horrendously foul. I persisted till she flatly refused any more, and she was so strong that I couldn't even hold onto her to give her the dose, and this little chookie [ Blackie] came back to being a laying hen.
She has always had a mechanical, robotic walk ever since, and every now and then I spot her having to have a little rest. She doesn't lay very often now, but at three years old I don't expect that anymore. If I see her going downhill I start up the meds again, and in fact, she knows that she needs it. I approach her on the roost at night during those times, shine the torch on the dropper, she obligingly opens her beak and starts swallowing away. She knows that she gets a small amount of mince after the medicine to take the taste away.
I would love to take a little video of Blackie now to illustrate how she is at this time but I struggle with the technology. One day, when I don't need to spent 10 hours a week away from home, working to pay my bills, I will have the time to spend on learning how to do stuff like that.
So, to all those who have the misfortune to have this disease in your flock, you now have an option to try.[ This disease is incredibly fast and mostly fatal. ]

BTW, I also have developed a treatment for Parvovirus, also a notoriously fatal disease of dogs. Out of 5 dogs, the one that came down with it first was taken to the vet where it was confirmed and died. The owner was told that if any of his other dogs developed the same symptoms the vets would not treat them. That they would simply have to die at home as it is so contagious. The vet could not risk other people's dogs catching the disease. The other dogs at home all developed it. They all lived and recovered, which is totally contradictory to the usual stats.
It is based on Black Elderberry. So if anyone wishes to know more about that or my Blackie, my email address is : [email protected] . My email address may come up with " address not existing", or equivalent , but it does.
Cheers Chaps!

I have had a hen with Marek's Disease for over two and a half years now. I lost my first set of two hens to this condition within a week of each other. Not knowing what it was, and having inherited them, I thought it must've been old age..... I tried a year later with chicks I hatched in a little loaned incubator. Three of the four  died just after they came on the lay with the same Marek's symptoms. Time to go onto the internet to figure out what IS this disease!.....     Then the last one came down with it!
I'm a Lab Tech, and forever an experimenter. I thought...Hey! I've got nothing to lose! Knew that viruses can be dealt with, or at least held in check with a variety of natural remedies. Thought to myself .... kill or cure, I guess! I knew that time was of the essence. She was so paralysed that she couldn't walk anymore. She could just sit on one side with her leg outstretched. She could still eat a little, and drink.
  I made up a [seriously bad tasting] mix of a capsule of olive leaf [extract equivalent to 5,000 mgs] garlic [extract equivalent to 1,200mgs]  Andrographis [ extract equivalent to 1,200 mgs] Echinacea[extract equivalent to 500 mgs] Pau D'Arco[extract to 250 mgs] Citrus Bioflavenoids 20 mgs, Zinc Citrate 15 mgs, Elderberry 220mgs, Vitamin C 200 mgs. Here in New Zealand the brand is GO VIR - DEFENCE.  The capsule was emptied into about 18 mls of water in a small bottle.[ I keep this in the fridge after I make it up].  I gave her approx half a ml of this, put her in my little greenhouse, with water and food close by, and had to go to work for the day. Initially she was too weak to fight and simply opened her beak and slowly squeezed it in allowing her to swallow a little at a time. I was convinced she would be dead by the time I arrived home. But NO! So I gave her another dose that night. The next day she had enough fight in her to struggle against the next dose, telling me that it must be horrendously foul. I persisted till she flatly refused any more, and she was so strong that I couldn't even hold onto her to give her the dose, and this little chookie [ Blackie] came back to being a laying hen.
  She has always had a mechanical, robotic walk ever since, and every now and then I spot her having to have a little rest. She doesn't lay very often now, but at three years old I don't expect that anymore. If I see her going downhill I start up the meds again, and in fact, she knows that she needs it. I approach her on the roost at night during those times, shine the torch on the dropper, she obligingly opens her beak and starts swallowing away. She knows that she gets a small amount of mince after the medicine to take the taste away.
I would love to take a little video of Blackie now to illustrate how she is at this time but I struggle with the technology. One day, when I don't need to spent 10 hours a week away from home, working to pay my bills, I will have the time to spend on learning how to do stuff like that.
So, to all those who have the misfortune to have this disease in your flock, you now have an option to try.[ This disease is incredibly fast and mostly fatal. ] 

BTW, I also have developed a treatment for Parvovirus, also a notoriously fatal disease of dogs. Out of 5 dogs, the one that came down with it first was taken to the vet where it was confirmed and died. The owner was told that if any of his other dogs developed the same symptoms the vets would not treat them. That they would simply have to die at home as it is so contagious. The vet could not risk other people's dogs catching the disease. The other dogs at home all developed it. They all lived and recovered, which is totally contradictory to the usual stats.
It is based on Black Elderberry. So if anyone wishes to know more about that or my Blackie, my email address is : [email protected] . My email address may come up with " address not existing", or equivalent , but it does. 
Cheers Chaps! 

Wow! That is an incredible story. I am willing to try anything. I have no clue where to find most of the things you listed... But I will try. Thanks so much for sharing. I have 8 right now, they are all symptom free.. But maybe I should try a little of this to KEEP them symptom free. A lot to think about. Unfortunately I was told I have a more rare strain of Mareks. Most people and even most hatcheries here in the U.S. Just use a simple Mareks vaccine that doesn't cover all strains. It's called MVT, studies have shown there are more and more mutated Mareks viruses around that MVT doesn't have an effect on. It seems there is now a need for places to start using better vaccines! The state pathologist here in my state was very enlightening. She said Mareks is more common where I live than people realize. It's very scary and very sad. Anyways.. Thanks again for your help!!

I have had a hen with Marek's Disease for over two and a half years now. I lost my first set of two hens to this condition within a week of each other. Not knowing what it was, and having inherited them, I thought it must've been old age..... I tried a year later with chicks I hatched in a little loaned incubator. Three of the four  died just after they came on the lay with the same Marek's symptoms. Time to go onto the internet to figure out what IS this disease!.....     Then the last one came down with it!
I'm a Lab Tech, and forever an experimenter. I thought...Hey! I've got nothing to lose! Knew that viruses can be dealt with, or at least held in check with a variety of natural remedies. Thought to myself .... kill or cure, I guess! I knew that time was of the essence. She was so paralysed that she couldn't walk anymore. She could just sit on one side with her leg outstretched. She could still eat a little, and drink.
  I made up a [seriously bad tasting] mix of a capsule of olive leaf [extract equivalent to 5,000 mgs] garlic [extract equivalent to 1,200mgs]  Andrographis [ extract equivalent to 1,200 mgs] Echinacea[extract equivalent to 500 mgs] Pau D'Arco[extract to 250 mgs] Citrus Bioflavenoids 20 mgs, Zinc Citrate 15 mgs, Elderberry 220mgs, Vitamin C 200 mgs. Here in New Zealand the brand is GO VIR - DEFENCE.  The capsule was emptied into about 18 mls of water in a small bottle.[ I keep this in the fridge after I make it up].  I gave her approx half a ml of this, put her in my little greenhouse, with water and food close by, and had to go to work for the day. Initially she was too weak to fight and simply opened her beak and slowly squeezed it in allowing her to swallow a little at a time. I was convinced she would be dead by the time I arrived home. But NO! So I gave her another dose that night. The next day she had enough fight in her to struggle against the next dose, telling me that it must be horrendously foul. I persisted till she flatly refused any more, and she was so strong that I couldn't even hold onto her to give her the dose, and this little chookie [ Blackie] came back to being a laying hen.

Cheers Chaps! 

I don't know if you are still here on BYC, but I just wanted to say thank you. I have used this vitamin mixture about 5 different times now. I use this whenever I see one of my chickens appearing lethargic or walking funny, and after just a few days of this they are 100% better!! I never know if it is the Mareks disease popping up or something else, but it works! I had a hen that was either suffering from Mareks or sour crop, to the point that she was falling over. Now she is back to her old self. Cackling loudly all day long, (she's my complainer) running around doing great. I love my chickens, my whole family does and I can't thank you enough! I truly think you are on to something here and I hope you continue to share this with others. I have to admit... I started wondering if maybe these vitamins would cure some of my ailments. The stuff is vile tasting, lol, but I'm going to try it for a few days.

Thanks again,
Sara

Hi Guys!
Further update on Blackie,my chicken with Mareks....
She is still alive but ailing, after 4 years fighting Marek's.. She must be about 4 and a half years old now so I guess she has had a good innings.She fell off the perch overnight last night. She hides away in the henhouse in the daytime with her face in a dark place. It seems light must hurt her eyes. She has the typical Marek's eyes with the distorted pupil, but can still see her food with her left eye to eat. The other eye appears to be blind. Her feet are distorted and she hobbles around on her knuckles.The grass is soft though. I have diligently fed her the medicine I mentioned in my above entry consisting of olive leaf , garlic etc. twice a day with a dropper.
This morning I spotted my pubescent rooster ....... He will be exiting this life tonight. My poor defenseless, largely immobile little Blackie was obviously franticallly upset. She couldn't get away from him. We are not actually allowed to have roosters here in New Plymouth as they upset neighbours with their crowing early in the morning. So he was on borrowed time already. [The chicks weren't sexed when we received them, darn it all, but they were the only chicks I could find for my desperately broody hen at the time].
I think my Blackie won't be far behind him.

Back
Top Bottom