Mareks

karint

Songster
May 24, 2019
How long does it take mareks to spread from bird to bird. I had to cull a rooster 2 months ago When I couldn’t fix his wing and now I have a chick who I thought has wry neck because her head twitches especially when she is stressed but people are telling me that both could have mareks. Help please. Could it take this long to spread? I have a small flock and everyone else seems healthy. What should I be watching for?

Attachments

• 01A73201-EECB-4364-B4A7-1B4F98098CAF.jpeg
    01A73201-EECB-4364-B4A7-1B4F98098CAF.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 20
Unfortunately, if one bird has Marek’s, then your whole flock will have it. It spreads by feather follicles- basically, chicken dander.

Unfortunately, if one bird has Marek’s, then your whole flock will have it. It spreads by feather follicles- basically, chicken dander.
Thanks for the information. I’ve done a lot of reading but what I can’t find is ow long it takes to see symptoms. I don’t know if i have it or ever have had it. I’m just wanting to know how quick you see symptoms once they’ve come into contact.

Thanks for the information. I’ve done a lot of reading but what I can’t find is ow long it takes to see symptoms. I don’t know if i have it or ever have had it. I’m just wanting to know how quick you see symptoms once they’ve come into contact.
Not all birds that get Marek’s will show symptoms. Depending on the strain, the majority may not even appear to be affected, though they’ll still carry the disease.

Not all birds that get Marek’s will show symptoms. Depending on the strain, the majority may not even appear to be affected, though they’ll still carry the disease.
Wow I knew they don’t all show symptoms but I assumed it always killed a good portion of your flock.

Wow I knew they don’t all show symptoms but I assumed it always killed a good portion of your flock.
Not always. Marek’s is very unpredictable, so a majority of chickens may not be affected at all, or affected only during times of stress, or only once they start getting older. It all depends on the virulence of the particular strain.

I have suspected Mareks in my flock since this spring due to a young cockerel with gray ovicular signs and several unexplained deaths in some 5-6month old pullets that I hatched out this spring. If the remaining flock carry it in their dander and have survived past adolescence, would stripping and vacuuming clean the entire coop really make any difference? Or should I just consider doing it just prior to hatching or introducing new chickens?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom