Mareks??

SilentEmu

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2020
I have an 11 month old..wyandotte/silkie mix..started 3 days ago after heavy snow...at first he was just walking slow..now he is always trying to sleep..his squawks and chirps are super quiet..his wings are a little droopy..and he has no balance..if he gets bumped or strong wind he falls over..still eating/drinking/pooping normal...just has horrible balance and besides eating has 0 energy..large flock..some have occular mareks...8 died from mareks last month..he has been given VetRX and Rooster Booster..has no other symptoms..not injured..and no mites or other bug problems..hes sick..i just dont know with what...side note..i live in WA state..closest poultry vet is 2 hours away..and cost $130 for exam..so vet is out of question..i dont want to lose him..but dont know what to do

Attachments

• 20210217_085450.jpg
    20210217_085450.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 17
If you have Marek's in your flock, the odds are good this chicken has become symptomatic since every one of your chickens carries the virus. Marek's can produce tumors on organs which can cause organ failure at a certain point.

However, there is a chance this is something else. First, you can try reviving him with sugar water and electrolytes on the chance he's merely weak. That can often revive a weak chicken so they will eat.

If this causes his balance to improve and allows him to stand without being wobbly, he could have a bacterial infection that might be treatable with an antibiotic. In other words, treat for weakness, and if the Marek's symptoms disappear, you could be looking at simple infection which is treatable.

If you have Marek's in your flock, the odds are good this chicken has become symptomatic since every one of your chickens carries the virus. Marek's can produce tumors on organs which can cause organ failure at a certain point.

However, there is a chance this is something else. First, you can try reviving him with sugar water and electrolytes on the chance he's merely weak. That can often revive a weak chicken so they will eat.

If this causes his balance to improve and allows him to stand without being wobbly, he could have a bacterial infection that might be treatable with an antibiotic. In other words, treat for weakness, and if the Marek's symptoms disappear, you could be looking at simple infection which is treatable.
Hes been getting elctrolytes since it started..no change..he walks slow...lays down a lot..and if he gets bumped he just falls and sits there..and instead of jumping up to roost at night he just sits on ground and squawks..thats why i think mareks..ive treated for other sickness already..including antibiotics and rooster booster..no change in behavior

Thats what i thought..lost 14 in last 3 months from mareks..all under 4 months old..hes one of my oldest pullets..will be 1 year old on march 8th..we have 5 that are 8 months old with occular mareks...all others are doing fine..hes my only sick one so far

Get Vacyclovir (ask your doctor for Zovirax pills). I've been treating my little hen (14 wks old) for about a week and it has improved her symptoms. I've been giving her 10 mg morning and evening, combined w/ St.John's Wort (one tablet dissolved in demineralised water - only a couple of drops a day through a dropper) and adding Lysine to her water.

To get a script for Vacyclovir I did a telehealth appt with a GP while I was at work citing tingly lips and picked up the script in the evening. It has really improved her quality of life. While I'm not sure she will continue to recover, I will continue to treat her in the hopes of improvement (of course always assessing her quality of life).

Please keep us posted on progress!

Hes improved in every way..except for his jumping...the chickens sleep in a tree at night..he cant jump..just tries to climb for a few minutes and then falls down and walks around squawking until i pick him up and put him upstairs with me..hes been getting rooster booster every day in his water..and for the 1st 4 days he got VetRx..hes really improved..eats/drinks/poops like normal..just doesnt crow anymore..and doesmt jump in tree with others

Attachments

• 16140512710553180733387760576155.jpg
    16140512710553180733387760576155.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom