Mareks?

NicoLee1991

Chirping
Dec 28, 2019
So I found my new rooster laying on the ground today when closing up the coops. About 3 days ago I wondered if he was limping but I had decided no at that time. Anyway, he is just shy of 12 weeks old and bow he can't stand or anything. I am soooooo hoping it is not mareks, I am now up to near 60 birds and have never had an issue before. So would it be true that all of my birds probably have it already? Should I be prepared if they start dropping like flies?

So more about Sebastion.. he is kind of sitting on his hocks, no droopy wings or weird neck, no cloudy eye or feather issues. His feet still work for the most part. His toes are curled up sometimes but mostly they are normal. He seems to have diarrhea as well. I do have him separated from the rest of the flock now and am considering going to an avian vet.. I'm just not sure they could even tell me anything.

Should I try giving him something? I was going to start with vitamin b and electrolytes in the morning.

Is there anything else this could be?

20210709_233614.jpg

My understanding about Mareks, is,,,,,, it is a virus simillar to herpes. If it is Mareks that your Sebastion has, the virus is on your grounds now. It is difficult to get rid of.
I hope it is something else, and the rest of your large flock is safe.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:hugs

Is it possible he got injured? Because he’s still an adolescent boy and the others might want to show their dominance.

Aviare leukose is a disease that resembles Marek and causes diarrhoea too.

Because his poop is not right, you might get a sample to a vet /lab to investigate that. A lot of problems occur in the stool.

If you want better answers you could make a film of his behaviours, upload it to youtube and post it here.

Hello - How is your roo doing?

I would have a vet take a blood sample and test for heavy metal poisoning/do an x-ray. He may have eaten something metal and it can cause symptoms like this.

Hope he is alright.

UPDATE!!!
So after I got him some food and water his poop returned to normal. He might have been outside a night on his own before I counted correctly (close to 60 birds will do that to you). He got worse before he got better, he stopped being able to move. No standing on his hocks, droopy wings, could only move by pulling himself by his wings.
I did some more research, mostly through these wonderful forums, and I came back with CURLY TOE PARALYSIS. He's a little old for it, but I realized instead of flock raiser (since we also have chickens, ducks and turkeys) the person watching the farm for us had gotten all flock. Which is not for the babies! I immediately started him on the liquid vitamin b complex that I got from tractor supply (it's for injections but I just feed it to them, I've used it for Peking ducks before). After several days with no improvement I upped his dose to damn near 2 ml and caused up a vitamin c into it(its supposed to help thiamin deficiency for curly toe PARALYSIS).
Today he took his first steps (also pecked me, grrr) since his rapid onset paralysis.
He can't quite walk yet, but he is on the mend. A few more days of meds and I'll attempt to reintroduce him to the flock+
Thank you so much everyone. Your articles put me on the right path!

e's a little old for it, but I realized instead of flock raiser (since we also have chickens, ducks and turkeys) the person watching the farm for us had gotten all flock. Which is not for the babies! I immediately started him on the liquid vitamin b complex
Generally flock raiser and all flock are very similar. Just different companies call them different things. Compare ingredients in what was given to what you have now.

Sounds like Marek's disease. You may want to read up on that, vitamin therapy is often used to help treat symptoms. Hopefully he will continue to improve.

What's your plans for this bird? I would not use him for breeding.

Generally flock raiser and all flock are very similar. Just different companies call them different things. Compare ingredients in what was given to what you have now.

Sounds like Marek's disease. You may want to read up on that, vitamin therapy is often used to help treat symptoms. Hopefully he will continue to improve.

What's your plans for this bird? I would not use him for breeding.
I figured flock raiser was for raising the Littles and all flock was was adult birds that weren't growing anymore. I'll have to go dig out the bags and compare. We had two ducks have the same kind of thing )kinda) out of this batch of birds. Vitamin b therapy helped, I will definitely continue to do research. He is still separated from everyone, although it's only for his sake so he doesn't get beat up since if it is mareks I'm sure it's gone around already. No other birds have shown any symptoms and we like 60 birds, mostly chickens and it's been like nearly 4 months since we've had these guys and nearly 3 years for the rest of em.
None of my roos are intentionally for breeding although accidents have happened.

Back
Top Bottom