Mareks?

viragovirgo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 28, 2009
SW Idaho
Hi,

I have a limping pullet with a droopy wing. She seems fine otherwise. Could this be Mareks or is there something else I can check for? I did check the bottom of the foot and did not find any black spots. Please help. Here is more info:

1) What type of bird , age and weight. - She is an Americauna, approx age 16wks, I don't have a weight but she doesn't feel underweight compared to others
2) What is the behavior, exactly. - She has a slight limp on one side. Occasionally stumbles. One wind droops slightly. She does not roost with the others anymore. She is sleeping in the lower nest box. I don't know if this is because she can't go up the ladder or they are picking on her. (they are terribly mean to this one)
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? - couple of weeks now
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - no visible sign of trauma
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - I do not know. I just noticed her stumble one day then watched her and saw that she was limping.
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - she is on layer food since the others are of laying age and she is the only one that is not, oyster shell and grit available
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - I've not seen hers specifically, but she does seem to have a little bit of a pasty butt.
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Kept her in a pet carrier overnight for few nights inside.
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - I'd like to treat myself and make sure my others aren't being exposed to something
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - no picture
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use - roost is via a ladder, nest box below with pine chip bedding. She tends to sleep in the nest box at night. I have a heat lamp on the nest box to keep her warm since she's alone.

Her leg doesn't appear broken, I can pick her up and feel around and she squawks wanting down but doesn't pull the leg away or anything. She doesn't seem to be balancing with the wing, she's just not holding it up like the other. I wonder, could she need more vitamins and minerals? could this be like rickets or something?

I've moved her inside as of yesterday because she was falling over on her side. She is holding the leg as if it hurts to bear weight on it. She had one eye closed and red, which I was able to get opened with a warm cloth. I'm thinking maybe they are bullying her. I'm giving her the rickets diet and some cod liver oil just to boost her system. I'm also giving her Corid in her water because I understand it's a broad spectrum antibiotic and I thought it might help the eye. (can't get any opthalmic antibiotics, already looked. trying another store tomorrow) I also gave her a warm bath and cleaned her up some (pasty butt) then blow dried her. She is alert and eating well. Tried to hop out of her box and fell over so she seems otherwise healthy. Talking a lot too. Can anyone think of anything else?

Back
Top Bottom