Mare's Illegal Cute-ness (Call Duck) Chat Thread!!

Pics
Muscovies don't work. Tried it. They're too heavy and break the eggs.
Had the same issue trying to get them to hatch leghorn eggs. I had one last year with a mix of her own eggs and some leghorn eggs. She hatched almost 100% of the leghorn eggs.
Next year I'm gonna experiment a little with letting them have mixed batches. I think with some of their own eggs it keeps the weight off the others better.
Leghorns and Calls would hatch earlier so I'll watch and pull them for a brooder then let her finish off her own eggs.
I hadn’t thought about muscovies being too heavy. My call egg shells are very thick, but they even break them occasionally. Maybe a very small Muscovy? Do you think it’s more their weight, or huge feet? :D
After I posted that reply I remembered how My Muscovy sat Runner eggs and they were not strong enough for her to sit. Now we know why Muscovy eggs are so tough they have to be. lol
I bet I have some Cochin bantams and Orpingtons who would be up for it though?
Those girls could definitely handle it, and are plenty likely to sit long enough.

Post more pics of your rainbow flock for Miami! 😈
:D went out and took some just for you.
This first one may give some size perspective to some folks also, with the classic little red coop in the background.

I looked back also, I’ve had 14 broody hatches this year. The first 9 were in the spring, the last 5 were late summer/fall
7564CD04-B4CA-4413-B03F-0DE164CDAF80.jpeg
1CAFCE97-1F77-4A9F-8635-B8752643CF6B.jpeg

EE499A49-304E-443A-A624-CA3A967F394F.jpeg

8D5077AE-BEC1-464F-90F7-43A0E2A51A7D.jpeg

This little girl is one of my youngest sets, she just quacked at me for the first time!
ED928048-7021-4CFA-B305-34977E8904FC.jpeg

This 2-year old drake hatched with a deformed bill and developed angel wing on both wings. He’s still doing great! His wings grew back after molting much better also. They still stick out, but not as much.
4FC72765-F3CF-49EB-BD20-F1134515C16B.jpeg

I hadn’t thought about muscovies being too heavy. My call egg shells are very thick, but they even break them occasionally. Maybe a very small Muscovy? Do you think it’s more their weight, or huge feet? :D

Those girls could definitely handle it, and are plenty likely to sit long enough.
Oh no. Hubby would kill me, but I have a Silkie who would love to hatch babies. A Silkie is def small enough and DEF broody enough.

Ooooooooo. Y'all are bad influences.

This first one may give some size perspective to some folks also, with the classic little red coop in the background.

I looked back also, I’ve had 14 broody hatches this year. The first 9 were in the spring, the last 5 were late summer/fall
View attachment 3342181View attachment 3342182
View attachment 3342183
View attachment 3342184

This little girl is one of my youngest sets, she just quacked at me for the first time!
View attachment 3342186

This 2-year old drake hatched with a deformed bill and developed angel wing on both wings. He’s still doing great!
View attachment 3342188
That's a whole lotta illegal cuteness. Aggravated cuteness. Cuteness in the first degree. You're the felon of cuteness.

View attachment 3342181View attachment 3342182
View attachment 3342183
View attachment 3342184

View attachment 3342186

This 2-year old drake hatched with a deformed bill and developed angel wing on both wings. He’s still doing great! His wings grew back after molting much better also. They still stick out, but not as much.
View attachment 3342188
Is that little Gharth?!
Screenshot_20221206_093702_Chrome.jpg

That's a whole lotta illegal cuteness. Aggravated cuteness. Cuteness in the first degree. You're the felon of cuteness.
:bow

It is! And he’s not actually 2 yet. He’s 1.5, May of last year.
One of his baby pics
44CF59B1-F5BC-4EC2-809E-530C00A8C90F.jpeg

Ooooh what color is this girl? Dusky something?
View attachment 3342196
Dusky Grey. She is a little lighter than some of my others, but I think she is still fairly young.

Back
Top Bottom