Mare's Illegal Cute-ness (Call Duck) Chat Thread!!

Pics
If you give a dux a puddle... :oops:
20230210_174437.jpg
20230210_174435.jpg
20230210_174429.jpg
20230210_174408.jpg
Beautiful!

I have a question….I have my own Call ducks that I want to hatch eggs from, I posted pics of them a while ago on here, but the lady I got my Calls from has ALOT of eggs she is trying to hatch. Currently over 100 eggs in incubators now and so many more coming that she can’t keep up. I told her I would hatch some for her this year.
:wee
So any suggestions on how to have a good hatch rate, as I know that these guys can be hard to hatch. I have an incubator that circulates air and automatically turns the eggs.
What incubator do you have?

I have a question….I have my own Call ducks that I want to hatch eggs from, I posted pics of them a while ago on here, but the lady I got my Calls from has ALOT of eggs she is trying to hatch. Currently over 100 eggs in incubators now and so many more coming that she can’t keep up. I told her I would hatch some for her this year. So any suggestions on how to have a good hatch rate, as I know that these guys can be hard to hatch. I have an incubator that circulates air and automatically turns the eggs.

It is a Farm Innovators Pro Series 4250
Well.
I will start by saying that Most of the folks I have talked to on here over the years have had a lot better luck with side turners vs. The ones like you have that hold them upright. In fact i also think they do better being turned by hand 3 times a day than they do using automatic turners anyway.

That said... I have only tried it in an upright Turner one time and it was a total disaster, but I think that was due to humidity too high and not the Turner.
Operator error on my part.
Since then i have only used my nurture right 360 and it has the sideways turner.
But.
I tend to have a lot of eggs that develp and die at lockdown. I do not know if that is an issue with my parent stock or incubator issues.
I lean towards incubator issues because they hatch really well under broody moms.

I have also noticed that a couple times ive done staggered hatches and hand turned i had a better hatch rate.

Anyway. Take all that for what it is worth.

Well.
I will start by saying that Most of the folks I have talked to on here over the years have had a lot better luck with side turners vs. The ones like you have that hold them upright. In fact i also think they do better being turned by hand 3 times a day than they do using automatic turners anyway.

That said... I have only tried it in an upright Turner one time and it was a total disaster, but I think that was due to humidity too high and not the Turner.
Operator error on my part.
Since then i have only used my nurture right 360 and it has the sideways turner.
But.
I tend to have a lot of eggs that develp and die at lockdown. I do not know if that is an issue with my parent stock or incubator issues.
I lean towards incubator issues because they hatch really well under broody moms.

I have also noticed that a couple times ive done staggered hatches and hand turned i had a better hatch rate.

Anyway. Take all that for what it is worth.
Thank you. So far the batch of Ayam Cemani’s I have in the incubator is going really well. I looked at the ones you lay on their sides, and I considered those. Thank you though, gives me an idea for the next incubator.

Back
Top Bottom