Marking eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Zaxby's2, May 1, 2011.

1. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Ok, so I just found out we've got a broody, and we're ready to label eggs. What can I use? I fear pencil lead will rub off, but pen or sharpie will sink into the shell and kill the embryo. Any help is appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Try a non-chemical marker, let me get some better info on this matter - one second!

ETA: Some information found on another forum.

We have always used permanent felt tipped markers to mark our chicken eggs for hatching and I've been using the same markers on my cockatiel eggs as well. Lead pencils damage the softer shell of a cockatiel egg, and anything that is non-permanent will smear or rub off. We have always had good hatch rates and have never known of permanent markers to pose a problem.

Marking Eggs? - Contains some experiences of fellow BYCers and marking eggs.

Egg Markers:
    http://www.theeggeryplace.com/egg-markers.html

Good Luck!​

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I use a sharpie and haven't had issues.

4. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    I use colored pen and mine are fine.

5. britsngrits

britsngrits Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    WV
    I use the wax pencils and I think they work great! You can get them in sewing stores or I also have used the was ones that I use for the backs of my photos when I'm scrappin.

6. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Like a kids felt tip - Works all the time [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

THanks for the reminder. I have a broody and I just marked 5 eggs. She had one stuff way up under her wing!

8. Hi! I have, since '05, been marking eggs for hatching with Sharpie Permanent Markers.
    I had someone specify that their eggs not be marked with Sharpie, so I marked eggs for a few days with pencil. I thought 'Why not?, I'm flexible.' and hung a pencil on a string in the door of every coop. I hate not being able to see at-a-glance, what eggs are what and went back to Sharpie (a few coops still have pencils hanging on string, so I'll use that pencil IF I don't have a Sharpie in my pocket...).
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

9. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I have used pencils, ink pens, sharpies, crayons etc. Never had an issue with any of them.

10. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    sharpies work great for me...and don't wear off like some other markers I have used

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by