marking eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hopefulloflove, May 20, 2012.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chirping

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    What can you use on eggs to mark them that the mother cant take odd while she is sitting..she kept trying steal eggs and we need to be able to tell which were her original clutch...we used pencil but it wore off ..thanks..

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I use a Sharpie marker with no problems. Also consider marking the eggs at the ends instead of the sides. The ends get much less rubbing against the hen than the ends do. I simply place an "X" on each end and it lasts through to hatch every time.

3. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chirping

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Thank You!!

4. mominoz

mominoz Songster

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I read that felt tip markers can poison embryos. A pencil is suggested

5. cashdl

cashdl Songster

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I used a sharpie for 5 years and never had it affect my hatch rates. I still use a sharpie if I am letting a broodie sit on eggs. A pencil does not work as she will rub off the marking. When I set eggs in my incubators I use a pencil, but I am putting eggs in an incubator from 6 different breeding pens and am putting on the eggs, the hen that laid them, the pen they are out of, the date they are collected and the date they are set to hatch. That would be alot if using a sharpie. The most I wrote on eggs with a sharpie was and X or the date.

Lanae

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: