Marsh Daisy

So it took me a while to move them outdoors. But today was the day. Here they are in their new coop. They seemed to like the skylight.

Interesting pictures. I see some juvenile legginess which is expected. But what is surprising to me is how "beaky" they are. Their bills almost seem out of proportion to their face.

I can't wait until they start to lay. From the body shape, they will be excellent layers. There are some issues that I will need to breed out. For example, the colors are not true. It is believed that the colors were mixed in England as a last ditch effort to keep the breed alive. So lots of culling is going to be needed to clean up the colors.

The "beakiness" is probably from the Malay in them.

Last edited:
Hey DC how about more pictures in each stage of growth.
I will try. Unfortunately I didn't take enough pictures when they were younger. I just had too many breeds growing up at that time. But now that they are outside it should be easier. I will take new photos over the next few days.

Another question I have is temperament. How are they with other chicken breeds? Other roosters? I just went through some experiences that caused me to drop ameraucanas. The AM pullets and hens were beautiful and friendly. The cockerels and roosters were strikingly beautiful and strikingly aggressive toward other chicken breeds and particularly other roosters. I had to intervene several times to save a rooster in the bachelor pen when a bunch of ameraucana boys decided they dd no like a particular cockerel and would chase and beat him incessantly trying to finish him off.

I have all my Mash Daisy in a seperate coop. They don't fight at all with each other but I do plan to cull 2 of the 3 cockerels as they have defects that I do not waist to have in my breeding program. Just like with my Ayam Cemani, I plan on culling heavily to try to improve the breed according to the British SOP.

I have all my Mash Daisy in a seperate coop. They don't fight at all with each other but I do plan to cull 2 of the 3 cockerels as they have defects that I do not waist to have in my breeding program. Just like with my Ayam Cemani, I plan on culling heavily to try to improve the breed according to the British SOP.
Hi DC,
We just received a batch from GF and it looks like a couple of the chicks might have single combs. Have you seen this in your birds? They're only a week or so old, so not for certain.
Best,
Brice @ SF

Hi DC,
We just received a batch from GF and it looks like a couple of the chicks might have single combs. Have you seen this in your birds? They're only a week or so old, so not for certain.
Best,
Brice @ SF
Yes, that should be considered a defect and is probably from the White Leghorn that was used in their creation. Also look for blue legs. Blue legs or single combs are considered disqualifies for the breed (at least in the British SOP). So I would cull any that have blue legs or single combs. The rose comb and the willow green legs are two of the hallmarks of the breed.

My birds should be laying soon. With the F1s, I plan on working on separating out the colors so they are correct. Red in the plumage is considered a defect. So I pan on returning them to the correct color which is brown. I hope that to happen with the F2s.

You can find the British SOP at http://www.marshdaisy.org.uk/breed-standard .

I know I keep saying that I will post updated pictures but here in Maryland rain and flooding is becoming a problem.

Thanks DC. I've tried to use that link before and it never works. It appears the website is offline. Have you had success with it? I'd love to see the standard.
Best,
Brice

Back
Top Bottom