Marsh Roll-X Incubator

ToddW25

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 21, 2014
Virginia
Hello everyone, I'm new to BYC.... Unfortunately my first post is going to be a question I have regarding a Marsh Roll-X incubator I own. It won't maintain a constant heat. It runs up to 96 / 97 degrees then it backs off and sits around 85 degrees. Any idea what could be causing this? I assume I need to replace a part or two...

I grabbed the below pictures from a previous thread... Mine looks almost identical to this incubator, the only difference is my incubator does not have the Thermo Wafer Thermostat off to the side (note the bottom picture w/ the round wafer on the lower right hand side).

WUsiZDRzzdsog9ZbV9fZVvlW1YKb4C2vmchOjgMPIXqKn6_5f4HcsM5QkR2-KTrN_K1giG5FJ0Vt-HGFr045KJ4imOTvFkO-qGDGeKvWkkZYJwoN2myN4D58CIlmnQMn0yPrS44=s0-d-e1-ft

-a0WQcFKhVbQKrlv2XRr4iYHN0ueszHdEYh0EM3IuxCnDSJTJVD5Y1GGkR7NgT26DphrHtjW0G8s2KWnqcaNnD23yhf_cg_qAq34qhX1kEfOSY0wfUYGR8KZ0ZP_JmYjIMv21kQ=s0-d-e1-ft

2hnZI9C4c2-I42Sg5v0CMQWDDyZwMqQg6q4sYb_jZDHc-IWQi14gTtPWFlhGOCaATsuSINYIceUoxgLpZP5f8w_YNMCSwsg-VIDmlFUlE-GGs_peL_qfiFS_Mto1-UXqFAoRYXo=s0-d-e1-ft

The thermostat is a single turn solid state or a 10 turn solid state if it is not a wafer. Here is a link to the lyon electric PDF for replacements and part numbers.

http://www.lyonelectric.com/pdfs/completemarshcat.pdf

For reference, here is a picture of mine and I have the solid state single turn- and it is wonderful and holds temp without fluctuation once set. Returns to temp quickly after opening the lid and just hatched 23/30 yesterday.

(These are pictures that were sent to me from the person I purchased it from)

Thank you for you replies. I don't really know what kind of thermostat I have.... I believe it's a single turn solid state. I will order a replacement part from lyonelectric and hope for the best. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again.

Thank you for you replies. I don't really know what kind of thermostat I have.... I believe it's a single turn solid state. I will order a replacement part from lyonelectric and hope for the best. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again.
I was just looking at the lyon electric website, as I need to replace my turner motor, and the single turn solid state is 58.30 +S&H. Good Luck! These are really awesome incubators. I came across one on craigslist and don't regret for a minute the price that I paid. Good Luck

That's not a bad price at all. I bought mine off craigslist as well and am trying to use it for the first time. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about it. After reading all the reviews on these incubators I really hope I get it running!

The lady said the temperature on mine "should be ready to go." I am glad I had a thermometer (she didn't have the stock thermometer that came with it) because it was about 5° off. Once I adjusted it, I let it run for a whole week before I placed eggs in it. The only time I have to dial up the thermostat ( I have the incubation setting marked so I can go right back to it) is when I am down to a few chicks left to hatch. I just had 23/30 hatch out, and out of those 30, 3 were early deaths that I never should have locked down (didn't do a candle on day 18), and 4 were dead in shell. So not bad. Once you get your temp stable you will love it. I dry hatch and don't have the humidity bottle that goes with the incubator, but I just add a bowl full of water (comes to bottom of the top of the incubator) and that boosts my humidity enough to hatch.

Also, if you run into the instance where your turner quits working, the motor replacement is $196.00!!! So instead of paying that, I had an auto turner from my Little Giant that fits inside and makes for a much easier hatch!

If you have any questions, or anything I can help you with, let me know. I looked for help with mine when I first got it on here, but there isn't that much available!

The lady said the temperature on mine "should be ready to go." I am glad I had a thermometer (she didn't have the stock thermometer that came with it) because it was about 5° off. Once I adjusted it, I let it run for a whole week before I placed eggs in it. The only time I have to dial up the thermostat ( I have the incubation setting marked so I can go right back to it) is when I am down to a few chicks left to hatch. I just had 23/30 hatch out, and out of those 30, 3 were early deaths that I never should have locked down (didn't do a candle on day 18), and 4 were dead in shell. So not bad. Once you get your temp stable you will love it. I dry hatch and don't have the humidity bottle that goes with the incubator, but I just add a bowl full of water (comes to bottom of the top of the incubator) and that boosts my humidity enough to hatch.

Also, if you run into the instance where your turner quits working, the motor replacement is $196.00!!! So instead of paying that, I had an auto turner from my Little Giant that fits inside and makes for a much easier hatch!

If you have any questions, or anything I can help you with, let me know. I looked for help with mine when I first got it on here, but there isn't that much available!

So did you buy a new thermostat from Lyon Electric? I was chatting w/ a Lyon sales rep and she said the thermostat they have for the Marsh Roll-X may not work w/ my incubator. Then she said the good news was my incubator base would work w/ a new dome, so she recommended I buy a new "dome" for a mere $400. I'm like wow, sounds like a total sales gimmick!!! Correct me if I'm wrong but a thermostat should function as designed if I can get it wired correctly.

So did you buy a new thermostat from Lyon Electric? I was chatting w/ a Lyon sales rep and she said the thermostat they have for the Marsh Roll-X may not work w/ my incubator. Then she said the good news was my incubator base would work w/ a new dome, so she recommended I buy a new "dome" for a mere $400. I'm like wow, sounds like a total sales gimmick!!! Correct me if I'm wrong but a thermostat should function as designed if I can get it wired correctly.
No, all mine needed was adjusted to maintain correct temp. I do believe that Strombergs also sells the replacement parts, as does McMurray Hatchery. Yea, the lyon sales rep sounded just like a sales gimmick to me as well. I know that the thermostats will work its just a matter of getting the wiring right. Good Luck and make sure to post how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom