Martha doesn't walk much

MarthaTheChicken2021

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2021
Martha came to us May 10th so just over a month old now. With 26 chicks in total we didn't know one from the other.
Around the beginning of June one of the white ones looked injured ( Martha) we removed her from the rest and watched her closely. She seemed to not really want to walk and at first we though her wing might have been injured as well. My husband checked her over but nothing seemed off or out of place so we kept her separate and gave her extra vitamins and care. We didn't really expect her to make it.

She looked tired and unsteady :( about 4 or 5 days later she started to walk a few steps but she limped and would only take about 4 steps before laying down. Then she would walk a little bit better, without limping but she looked like she was walking on her own feet, stumbling then again would lay down.
I am looking back at video I took and on June 3rd was when she looked pretty sad and not walking much, June 7th she has a small limp and trips a bit over her feet.
June 13th she got out of her pen and took a stroll around before settling next to the big pen where the rest are. I figure she wanted in with them but was worried that the fat ones would run her My husband was kind enough to put a camera out in their pen so I could watch her and rescue her if needed. She did fine and no one bothered her. In the morning we let them out to run, all the chickens ran out buy Martha stayed behind so I moved her to her tree and while all the others roam she never goes far. She will take 4-6 steps and lay down.

Last night I put her back in her own space to give her a chance to eat and drink away from the other. I watched her on the camera and for 4 mins she just paced back and forth trying to figure how to jump out. I moved her back into the main pen again and she stayed with the rest all night. Again this morning all the others ran out and she stayed behind alone most of the day. I moved her out to the grass and at some point she headed back into the pen where she spend most of the day, tonight I moved her once again to the grass and she has moved some but it's only every I would say max 6 steps before laying down for an hour or more.
I guess I am wondering what I can/should do with her? In a few weeks they will move to the coop so it won't be as easy to keep an eye on her if she is to be kept with the rest.

Thank you for reading :) Maybe someone has experienced something similar or has advice to offer to give Martha the best life. She is a meat chicken I know but I don't believe her destiny is our table!!

Martha came to us May 10th so just over a month old now. With 26 chicks in total we didn't know one from the other.
Around the beginning of June one of the white ones looked injured ( Martha) we removed her from the rest and watched her closely. She seemed to not really want to walk and at first we though her wing might have been injured as well. My husband checked her over but nothing seemed off or out of place so we kept her separate and gave her extra vitamins and care. We didn't really expect her to make it.

She looked tired and unsteady :( about 4 or 5 days later she started to walk a few steps but she limped and would only take about 4 steps before laying down. Then she would walk a little bit better, without limping but she looked like she was walking on her own feet, stumbling then again would lay down.
I am looking back at video I took and on June 3rd was when she looked pretty sad and not walking much, June 7th she has a small limp and trips a bit over her feet.
June 13th she got out of her pen and took a stroll around before settling next to the big pen where the rest are. I figure she wanted in with them but was worried that the fat ones would run her My husband was kind enough to put a camera out in their pen so I could watch her and rescue her if needed. She did fine and no one bothered her. In the morning we let them out to run, all the chickens ran out buy Martha stayed behind so I moved her to her tree and while all the others roam she never goes far. She will take 4-6 steps and lay down.

Last night I put her back in her own space to give her a chance to eat and drink away from the other. I watched her on the camera and for 4 mins she just paced back and forth trying to figure how to jump out. I moved her back into the main pen again and she stayed with the rest all night. Again this morning all the others ran out and she stayed behind alone most of the day. I moved her out to the grass and at some point she headed back into the pen where she spend most of the day, tonight I moved her once again to the grass and she has moved some but it's only every I would say max 6 steps before laying down for an hour or more.
I guess I am wondering what I can/should do with her? In a few weeks they will move to the coop so it won't be as easy to keep an eye on her if she is to be kept with the rest.

Thank you for reading :) Maybe someone has experienced something similar or has advice to offer to give Martha the best life. She is a meat chicken I know butlimp believe her destiny is our table!!
Can you add some Bcomplex in her diet , Bcomplex really help with limp maybe general weakness?

Can you add some Bcomplex in her diet , Bcomplex really help with limp maybe general weakness?
I sure can try :) Thank you!! She seems to be a little better every day and at night she definitely moves more. I just watched her walk back to her pen...I think she knows a good deal when she has one and is enjoying being treated like a queen ;)

Since you mentioned she's a meat bird, how heavy is she? Was she feed restricted when younger? Their weight can be a real issue as it can cause joint pain or damage or in extreme cases, even broken bones.

Since you mentioned she's a meat bird, how heavy is she? Was she feed restricted when younger? Their weight can be a real issue as it can cause joint pain or damage or in extreme cases, even broken bones.
Upload vid to youtube, or similar platform, then paste link here.
I will weigh her today :) She was not restricted.

Here are some videos - wasn't as hard as I thought!

June 3rd it is just a short clip but this is all she did :(

June 7th you can see she is getting stronger and has a bit of a limp

Then today I let all the others out and they RAN - can't wait to get out. She stays behind and eats and drinks then lays down. Same as shed did yesterday. She ventured out about an hour or so after the others so I took this video but now she is back in the pen.
I don't know if I should keep taking her out to the grass or just let her be to figure out what she wants.

Thanks!

Wonder if she just tweaked or strained a leg? I had a heavier bird hurt her leg somehow (probably coming off the roost) as she was limping. After the limping started she was pretty lethargic for a few weeks, didn't want to walk, didn't eat much either (I even tried caging her to see if she'd eat if food was just in front of her, and she really didn't want to).

To prevent her from worsening things we put her on a low roost at night, and gave her a small daily dose of Poultry Nutri-Drench just to perk her up a bit. Once her mobility started to improve she gradually began eating and acting more normal again.

Back
Top Bottom