MARYLAND THREAD!

Just wanted to follow up on an earlier post in which I attended the show in Frederick on November 3rd.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/63745/maryland-thread/1030#post_12262921

Based on my experience and observation at the Frederick show, I decided to pull the trigger.  I entered a black ameraucana cockerel and pullet, a blue wheaten ameraucana cockerel, a wheaten ameraucana cockerel and pullet, two cream legbar pullets and three cockerels, and an euskal oiloa cockerel in the following show on November 23.

The Virginia Poultry Breeders Association was my first show ever.  I showed the following poultry with the following results:

• Wheaten ameraucana cockerel – RV
  • Wheaten ameraucana pullet – BV
  • Blue wheaten ameraucana cockerel – BV
  • Black ameraucana pullet – RV
  • Black ameraucana cockerel – BB/BV
  • Cream legbar pullets – BB
  • Cream legbar cockerels – RB
  • Euskal oiloa (marraduna basque) – BB/BV

While I had the only cream legbars and euskal oiloa at the show, there was strong competition in the ameraucanas.  So getting best in breed and best/reserve varieties in a very competitive class was a pleasant surprise.  After the show in Frederick, MD, I felt that some of my birds might be competitive.  But I never would have guessed that they would do this well.  An exciting day for sure!
Congratulations!

I would love to find a place that sells true bulk feed, and not just open a 50 pound bag to sell you 10 pounds of "bulk feed" for twice the price per pound.

Figure if you are paying $15 for a 50 ($.30 a pound) pound bag, there should be a way to buy say 250 or 500 pounds without bags for $.15- .20 a pound.

Being that my chickens and ducks are cooped up until I either get rid of the foxes OR the days get longer so I can let them out when I get home, they are burning through a LOT of feed every day.

This farm is off of Route 32 near Eldersburg. Blue Seal Multi Flock 22% protein is $15.25 a bag. I haven't used it yet but I heard Blue Seal is a great feed to use. You can order as many bags as you want. She places orders once a week and picks up on Friday I believe.

This farm is off of Route 32 near Eldersburg.  Blue Seal Multi Flock 22% protein is $15.25 a bag.  I haven't used it yet but I heard Blue Seal is a great feed to use.  You can order as many bags as you want.  She places orders once a week and picks up on Friday I believe.

That's like 40 miles each way from Upper Marlboro. Or put another way it is 8 gallons of gas in my truck. The farthest I want to ever go for feed is Waldorf.

Yep, Eldersburg is a long way from Upper Marlboro. I drive it once a week for work. Takes me 1.5 hours.

Price is about the same as TSC. I've heard it's a good feed too.

Yeah, it costs a goodly bit of money. I drive to Landover three times a week for swim team, and it costs me a tank for my Traverse a week. Ouch. Then work...I kind of think my first hour of work goes to pay to get there and back....I have thought of looking for work closer to home, but I think my clientele would lose it. We will move swim teams next fall, but this coach is good (this is our third year with him), and I'm not ready to make the financial commitment and time commitment to another team just yet.

Back
Top Bottom