MARYLAND THREAD!

There is a lady in NC (Durham I thinking but I found her on NC Craigslist) that I bought 2 Amish Style coops 4x6 for $500 each. She drove them up one day. I gave her like $200 for gas but that still makes them cheaper than Amish coops around here. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
I'm sooo eggscited.  Santa brought me some money to buy a nice chicken coop!! Now  I'm looking for suggestions for a good source of coops.  I'm in Calvert County and would like something large enought for 10-12 chickens with attached run.  Hubby is not interested in (nor does he have the time to) build and I can't do it by myself.  Last fall I fell in love with a coop and run combo that a vendor had at the Sharpsburg Poultry Swap, however he is in Lovettsville and I think it may cost an arm and a leg to have something delivered from that far away.  Any suggestions??

I would NOT have a coop/run that I couldn't stand up in.. imagine either chasing chickens or cleaning the coop on your hands and knees. I built ours, nothing great to look at, but it works, and mostlt used lumber I had in the yard, including extra fence posts.

I've seen some at the Charlotte Hall Farmers market but would need updating to make the runs tall enough (and I though they were kind of expensive).

In other news, I made an omelette this morning and it appears my one juvenile rooster has been busy.. three bullseyes.

I may have EE chicks sooner than I thought.

Hi... I'm in Aquasco, MD.

I have raised chickens off and on since I can remember. I have a few birds, but am really looking to establish a small Swedish Flower Hen flock and/or a Cream Legbar flock.

Just thought I might introduce myself.

I have raised chickens off and on since I can remember. I have a few birds, but am really looking to establish a small Swedish Flower Hen flock and/or a Cream Legbar flock.

Welcome!! I have Cream Legbars and there is a young lady near me that has Swedish Flower Hen so you're in luck!

I bought Amaraucana chicks from efowl in September, lost a few to a fox but still have 7 left and one rooster.

When do people think the rooster is mature enough to give me fertile EE eggs, and if I do incubate the eggs what are the chance they are going to lay blue/green eggs too?

He's my only rooster (with 20 hens) so he should be able to stay busy, but with that many hens does it reduce my chance of the eggs being fertile?

So now I have two full grown Easter Eggers hens (they got me started down this path), 7 young ones, and one rooster, and would want to incubate in the upcoming months. In the end think I'll adopt out my other chickens (except my Red-Xs) and focus primarily on the EEs.

IME, the boys have their favorites and they will be fertile, but the others might not. But I would bet enough will be fertile that you won't need to worry about it ;)

Hi all,

I am from Montgomery County, but now live in north Florida. I have chickens, ducks and guinea fowl. My Mom in Germantown and her friend in Olney are both looking for a fairly regular supply of fresh chicken eggs, preferably from a small farm or chicken hobbyist.
Please send me s PM if you can help, or can direct me to a more local site or FB page.

I ALWAYS see eggs on CL for the Fredrick area and MD/DC. Sometimes it's as low as $2/dozen. I normally have eggs, but my girls have decided to not lay for now. It's fine, but it does hamper when people want eggs.

I'm sooo eggscited.  Santa brought me some money to buy a nice chicken coop!! Now  I'm looking for suggestions for a good source of coops.  I'm in Calvert County and would like something large enought for 10-12 chickens with attached run.  Hubby is not interested in (nor does he have the time to) build and I can't do it by myself.  Last fall I fell in love with a coop and run combo that a vendor had at the Sharpsburg Poultry Swap, however he is in Lovettsville and I think it may cost an arm and a leg to have something delivered from that far away.  Any suggestions??

Msbear here has lovely coops. They can site build or custom build and haul for you or you pick from what they have.

You can rent a UHaul trailer, haul yourself and get a group of friends to help unload it.

Welcome!!  I have Cream Legbars and there is a young lady near me that has Swedish Flower Hen so you're in luck!

Yep, we are talking via PM ;) Hopefully the eggs I set for the NYD hatchalong...well...hatch! They look really good so far, but as you know, that means nothing with this breed.

I'm just about 20 minutes North in Upper Marlboro. I breed Alsteirers, Ayam Cemani, Barneveleders, Bielefelders, Birchen Marans, Bresse, Cream Legbars, Hedemora, Isbars, Sulmtalers (Gold Duckwing and Wheaten), Swedish Flower Hens, and English Orpingtons (Buff, Gold Laced, Jubilee, and Partridge). Right now only the Ayam Cemani are laying. But in a couple of months, I will start incubating all of the others.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

I meant to post this earlier and forgot.

For those of us in the northern part of the state, John Condon Farms in New Windsor can order and deliver (!!!) Nutrena feeds, any of them. Melissa there is super helpful. She places orders every Monday, and she said it would be delivered by the end of the week. Don't know exactly what the minimum for delivery would be, as we were discussing my specific needs, which is 20 bags of various feeds for 5 different species, 2 round bales of hay and 20 bags of shavings a month, and since I'm a 20 minute drive from them, if that, she said it would be no problem. If one orders just hay, it is a minimum of 4 round bales. They may carry Blue Seal as well, but I'm not sure on that.

I am really thinking of going that way, because delivery and unloading would be awesome, but I don't have storage for all of that feed at once unless I quit parking my car in the garage. Right now I go buy this and that every week as needed to keep storage down.

I'm just about 20 minutes North in Upper Marlboro.  I breed Alsteirers, Ayam Cemani, Barneveleders, Bielefelders, Birchen Marans, Bresse,  Cream Legbars, Hedemora, Isbars, Sulmtalers (Gold Duckwing and Wheaten), Swedish Flower Hens, and English Orpingtons (Buff, Gold Laced, Jubilee, and Partridge).  Right now only the Ayam Cemani are laying. But in a couple of months, I will start incubating all of the others.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Wow, you've got selection of birds. I'd love to come and meet your birds.

With the Cream Legbars do you know BYCer GaryDean26? He is my brother, and a big reason for my interest in the breed.

Back
Top Bottom