MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
It is. If you decide to go there, they just moved locations. Still in Westminster though. Apparently Bowman's also carries Blue Seal organic feed as well.
I'm thinking of going soy-free and ordering 3 months worth of feed for all the critters in one fell swoop and picking it up from Countryside in VA at the Leesburg delivery stop. It would be so much easier than going to pick up feed every few weeks for this critter, then running out for that critter a few days later and going back to the store.
That would save time!

Hello fellow Marylanders! I'm having trouble re-homing 4 of my roosters. I've tried everything. Not a single call from the ad I put up in the local feed store or vet's office. These are all bantams - 3 Black-tailed White Japanese and 1 Serama. I bought these eggs from fellow BYCer's. They hatched on 7/8/12, they're almost 4 months old. They're healthy and pretty. I'm willing to deliver if within a reasonable distance. In order that I know they're wanted, I'm asking $15 each but that price is negotiable. It's most important to me that they get a good home. I don't want to put them on Craigslist. The little Serama roo is getting the bad end since he is smallest. He needs a female friend of his own! I live outside Chestertown on the eastern shore. If you have room for any or can help, please let me know. Here are a few pictures. The Black-tailed White roos look alike but the Serama has black/silver and a brown patch on his back. Thanks!

Black-tailed White Japanese bantam roos

Close-up of Black-tailed White

Serama roo

Serama roo is up front in middle
They are all so pretty! I finally re-homed my Polish rooster, but the buff cochin still doesn't have a home. He will be dinner today; the neighbors complained to the town office. It's sad, but I guess roosters have it rough!

No one on the eastern shore that could use a banty rooster or two? Anyone know a shelter or farm that would take a good-looking un-wanted chicken? A neighbor farmer suggested Dill's Auction -I guess that's a possibility but it's a last resort. Anyone with feedback on that auction? My Serama roo is quiet and small - does not seem to be aggressive at all. He used to sit on the toe of my boot when I worked out in our garden. He's about the size of a pigeon! I'm feeling a little desperate since these roos are starting to fight each other and also trying to "grab and ride" any hen that comes close!

One of the Black-tailed White Japanese roosters

Some of my flock with the Blk-tailed White Jap roos in the middle, small Serama roo just behind to the left (hard to see all of him!)

No one on the eastern shore that could use a banty rooster or two? Anyone know a shelter or farm that would take a good-looking un-wanted chicken? A neighbor farmer suggested Dill's Auction -I guess that's a possibility but it's a last resort. Anyone with feedback on that auction? My Serama roo is quiet and small - does not seem to be aggressive at all. He used to sit on the toe of my boot when I worked out in our garden. He's about the size of a pigeon! I'm feeling a little desperate since these roos are starting to fight each other and also trying to "grab and ride" any hen that comes close!

Some of my flock with the Blk-tailed White Jap roos in the middle, small Serama roo just behind to the left (hard to see all of him!)

I would take your Serama in a heartbeat if I weren't 3 hrs. away. Sorry, I hope someone can help. Have you thought about asking on the American Serama thread? Most of the people on there are in California, but you never know?

ugh, I'm trying to convince myself not to take your serama for my 2 girls. He's so beautiful!

ugh, I'm trying to convince myself not to take your serama for my 2 girls. He's so beautiful!

I Love my Serama roo's, more than the hens. Do It, Do It!!! Then you can hatch Serama babies!
jumpy.gif

I thought I lost one of my girls, but I found her this morning sitting on a clutch under the coop. I don't think the eggs will hatch - my only roosters are large breeds.

I have 4 other roosters - 1 blue laced wyandotte and 3 blue wheaten ameraucanas. Would they pick on him?

I thought I lost one of my girls, but I found her this morning sitting on a clutch under the coop. I don't think the eggs will hatch - my only roosters are large breeds.

I have 4 other roosters - 1 blue laced wyandotte and 3 blue wheaten ameraucanas. Would they pick on him?

Wyandotte and Ameraucans would definitely run right over him. I just have banty chickens but the bigger roos all pick on him since he is the smallest. He has no chance with a hen of his own as long as bigger, more territorial roos can run him off. He's a bit flighty here but no wonder - he's on the bottom of the pecking order. I have 2 Serama hens that he likes but they've learned to follow the king of the hill and don't give him a chance. Unless you would separate him, he would remain "bullied" by the others. I just have no way to keep him in a separate pen - that's why I'm trying to find him a new home. He's not mean or nasty like some of my bigger roos, maybe because he is such an outcast, I really don't know. I wonder what his personality would be like if he had his own "flock" and didn't spend his time running from the others. I let the flock free-range in the yard several hours every day. He always stays on the outside fringe of the group, close but not really included. Just trying to be honest. Everyone tells me that Serama roos can be sweet. When he was young I handled him a lot and thought he would be real tame. But most of my chickens like to follow me around and if he comes too close to me, one of the other roos goes for him with murderous intent! The older these chickens get, the more he becomes aloof and detached. I think he's realized he's just out-sized and out-gunned! I'd love to find him a home where he could be the big guy!

I'm having the same problem with my Silver Ameracauna Roo. But size isn't the issue. My boy is the largest and friendliest, and that's the problem. It's almost like he doesn't know he's a rooster, and he's constantly getting his butt kicked by a bantam roo half his size. I don't want to part with either of them, so I just keep hoping it will eventually iron itself out.

Back
Top Bottom