MARYLAND THREAD!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChuckenGirl, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Erin, we are planning on coming. I may not have very many silkies, but hopefully I'll have lots of WCBlue Polish (LF), WCBlack Polish (LF) and Orpingtons in split lav/black and lavender.
    Even if we don't have anything to sell, we will be there. It's been on my calendar for months.
    BTW... last day to set eggs for swap is May 16 or 17. Also, my last day to hatch for the year [​IMG]
    Last year I made the mistake of hatching late into summer and I had way too many youngsters over the winter.

2. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    If anybody has a couple extra female ducks, my drakes would be happier.....and maybe stop chasing us people! I will drive almost anywhere in MD for them as long as they are female. CL has only ducklings.

3. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA
    Hi Marylanders!

I live on the border just across the Potomac River near Lovettsville, VA. A lot of my shopping (chicken and otherwise) is done in Maryland. I recently acquired some cream legbars from a MD breeder and some BBS ameraucanas from Whitmore Farms and I hope to visit the swap at Sharpsburg in June.

4. chateau poulet

chateau poulet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Washington DC suburbs
  5. dutchbunny83

dutchbunny83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    Hi Marylanders!!!

I lived in Maryland my whole life, but my husband is in the Army so we've spent the past few years down in NC. I didn't start keeping chickens until we were down here, mostly because the time I was there I lived at home growing up or in a college dorm or apartment.

What are the regulations on keeping chickens up there?

I'm in the city limits of Fayetteville and we are allowed 10 poultry of any kind, including roosters. (Though I've about doubled that...)

LOVE to see so many people raising chickens!!!

6. SunnySkies

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Regs depend on where you live. Some HOAs don't allow them. Some cities don't allow them. Some counties don't allow them. Some allow only hens. Some allow only 3-6. Others don't care. So it all depends on where you land in Maryland.

7. wildflowerrun

wildflowerrun Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Second this. In Frederick county (outside of the cities/whatever-they're-called-s) you can't have any type or number of livestock if you aren't zoned for it or have at least 3+ acres without getting a special exception. I just went through the process myself. So far as I know, there's no limit as long as you follow the law, which has to do with distance from lot line, no crazy noise and no crazy smells.

8. chateau poulet

chateau poulet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Washington DC suburbs
    Could you make a quick list of the regs you're aware of? These are the ones I've heard:
    - Poolesville allows any (they're exempt from county rules),
    - Montgomery County allows any with setbacks 100 ft from home, 25 ft from prop line (new code in progress to allow smaller set-backs on residential lots).
    - Rockville has banned all, I think.
    It would be great to compile a list for new folks.

9. SunnySkies

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I'll look back in this thread when I get a minute. I posted a whole bunch a few weeks ago.

I met some people recently who live in Frederick county but their HOA won't allow anything but a dog, a cat and a horse (how random is that?). Rabbits, pocket pets, fish, etc, are all banned by the HOA.

Don't live in an HOA if you can help it.

10. SunnySkies

May 13, 2012
    Maryland

FYI on what I could find regarding chickens in MD. NOT all inclusive though. But if you scan this thread, just about every area is mentioned at least once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by