MARYLAND THREAD!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChuckenGirl, Jun 15, 2008.

1. rousehousecoop

rousehousecoop Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Davidsonville, MD
    Will you be at the Swap on the 8th? I am definitely interested. **the CL ad says welsummers: if I can't find RIRs, what do you think about adding the welsummers instead?? Disposition / temperament is very important as I hve three children.
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    These are not mine. I only raise Swedish Flower Hen. And I will not be at the swap. I work weekends.

I have four children that have done well with every breed we have had. For us, it has been the individual chicken's disposition. We killed a few roosters for being nasty.

In our laying flock, we have some EE and Maran hens, and they are very gentle.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    If you want kid friendly chickens they you really should start out with chicks. Getting adult chickens from anyone probably won't work.

4. Anna Lee

Anna Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    Maryland

There are so many different sellers at the swap that you are bound to find some buff orpingtons and other nice docile breeds there. People have everything from tiny chicks to chicks old enough to sex (if you don't want roosters but want younger birds) to laying hens.

5. Dawnschix

Dawnschix Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2013
    Hi N. Fred. Co. My boyfriend too is a country boy who fell for a 'suburban girl with a country girl heart.' One of my favorite lines with him is, "I am not that much of a country girl." when he is trying to get me to do some things......he always responds, "Yet!" [​IMG]

6. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA
    LOL - The line I use with my wife is that I am engaged in one of the great social experiments of the century. I want to see if it is possible to get a suburban girl to become a country girl. We have been married for almost 34 years & I am still working at it! We have lived off & on in some rural settings over the years but definitely rural Virginia for the last 19 years. Last year, I started with chickens and she does not want to deal with them but her mother henness shows. She is always checking on me to make sure that I have taken care of the chickens and chicks. :)

7. Maligator Love

Maligator Love Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    I am in Howard County.

I have just started breeding blue, splash and paint silkies.

8. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Anyone know of LF Gold Laced or Silver Laced Wyandotte for sale particularly hens or point of lay pullets in the MD, VA, DE, PA, or NJ areas?

9. Shortstuff112

Shortstuff112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Maryland
    I have Arecandas and Americandas ( however you spell it ) they are pretty good layers and the best part is THEY LAY GREEN EGGS!. And they are absolutely adorable!! the have fluff on their neck and cheeks :,)

10. Shortstuff112

Shortstuff112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Maryland
    I live in Frederick County! Anyone else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by