MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
We're actually building a brooder now.... But I plan on using it immediately to quarantine birds I get at the swap. So it may be bigger than necessary and will be a multi-purpose brooder, but I'm OK with that.

Ok I give up. I could've sworn I read on here by one of the regulars that they build chicken coops to order, sometimes just putting down the frame and letting the buyer finish the thing. For the life of me I can't find this post anymore. If you know who this is, or if you're reading this and this is you, please send me a pm. I'd be interested to see what coops you make and buying one for use in September or so (So no big hurry). I'd like to get it delivered perhaps in July or August so that I have time to finish it.

Ok never mind. I found it. It was MsBear and I will be messaging her tomorrow.

By the way, here's a link to a set on flickr with pics of the ancona's and ameraucanas I got from Whitmore on May 11. I think I have 5 hens and 3 roosters on the anconas, I'm still not sure on the ameraucanas. They're almost 3 weeks old now. The pics go from most recent backwards. Here's one of the three suspected ancona roos.

Last edited:
Hey !

My family and I will be relocating to Delmarva before school starts this fall.

So far we like the Berlin MD area and its' schools.
(But are open to local opinions - please share.)

But I'm posting to ask, are laying hens allowed in Berlin, MD ?
If so - are there any rules regarding them ?

I've already checked the town web site and didn't find any chicken related info.

Thanks,

Kevin, Kim & Kids

unfortunatly their mother was killed last night by a racoon
hit.gif
and they havent hatched yet..... they were about to though! they are 19 days old

unfortunatly their mother was killed last night by a racoon
hit.gif
and they havent hatched yet..... they were about to though! they are 19 days old
awe.. what a shame. I am making preparations to start a backyard flock in Anne Arundel County. We have racoon, fox, and aereal predators(hawks eagles). Any suggestions on preventing this sort of predator attack on my coop? I have an enclosed coop with a wired run. I plan to free range occasionally and am aware of the danger in doing so. I just don't want a predator to gain access to what should b their "safe haven". (Aka the coop/run). Suggestions on securing their safe space???

awe.. what a shame. I am making preparations to start a backyard flock in Anne Arundel County. We have racoon, fox, and aereal predators(hawks eagles). Any suggestions on preventing this sort of predator attack on my coop? I have an enclosed coop with a wired run. I plan to free range occasionally and am aware of the danger in doing so. I just don't want a predator to gain access to what should b their "safe haven". (Aka the coop/run).
Suggestions on securing their safe space???
I live in hanover, md and we have had a whole flock taken out by a raccoon but that was years ago. Now I keep my girls in a 12 x 12 dog kennel with chicken wire going around it and a heavy duty tarp for a roof. Their house is in the kennel and it has a sandy dirt bottom with a few rocks in the soft spot around the edge .So far nothing has goten in the kennel but I have had a fox come durring the day and take out six of my girls. So at night you should be good to go but, make sure you know the wild life in your area because foxes generally only come at night but the one near me has learned to come durring the day. I only let them out when I am home or the dog is out to watch them.

You seem pretty secure! as far as predators, I have the same problem. Put out a game cam and a trap. Game cams are reasonably cheep. I got mine for about 30$. You just need something to take pictures so you can see were the animal is getting in. For a trap I tried many but my absolute favorite was a cage trap. Its a cage with a ramp at the back,so you put cat food or tuna behind the ramp. when the ramp is pushed the trap shuts so in the morning you have your chicken-eater in the cage. That's what I do and the system works great for me :)

awe.. what a shame. I am making preparations to start a backyard flock in Anne Arundel County. We have racoon, fox, and aereal predators(hawks eagles). Any suggestions on preventing this sort of predator attack on my coop? I have an enclosed coop with a wired run. I plan to free range occasionally and am aware of the danger in doing so. I just don't want a predator to gain access to what should b their "safe haven". (Aka the coop/run).
Suggestions on securing their safe space???
Woops! I didn't quote you! look above :)

Hey !

My family and I will be relocating to Delmarva before school starts this fall.

So far we like the Berlin MD area and its' schools.
(But are open to local opinions - please share.)

But I'm posting to ask, are laying hens allowed in Berlin, MD ?
If so - are there any rules regarding them ?

I've already checked the town web site and didn't find any chicken related info.

Thanks,

Kevin, Kim & Kids
I would check here under Worchester county. http://marylandpet.com/pet-scoops-animal-news/publish/maryland-animal-laws.shtml . May want to check with Berlin town zoning as well. Most of the Eastern Shore is pretty loosely regulated at the county level, but the city or town codes may differ.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom