MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
They all seem to be eating well.  They only had sulmet at the Southern States in Ellicott Sity  so i am using that.

That works too, and yeah, I have syringed meds into sick birds a few times. Be careful if you ever have to do it....they can inhale the meds, which can be bad.

I did almost have a stroke today. The growing chicks somehow got out (aka my second son opened the coop and didn't close it properly) and I found the babies all running loose with the bantam Cochins picking on them when I went out to the car to load everyone up for our swim team run. Eek! All were safely recovered and placed back in their grow out coop.

Anyone else wondering if we are going to have a blistering summer after today? 92 at my house. In.Sane

For anybody looking for a smallish coop, watch the CL in Baltimore. There is a guy who makes and sells coops for a fairly decent price on there. There is a roost and 3 nest boxes. The coops sit on the ground, and I'm not a fan of that myself (I have two such coops we built, and I hate dealing with them because I am tall and the ground is low). He says 8-10 chickens, but I would not put that many in there except to sleep. There is a window that you close and a little door; obviously not a walk in though. He sent me photos, and if it were me, I would cover the window in hardware cloth to improve ventilation, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of venting, and consendation and ammonia could be an issue. I'd probably work out a way to keep out the rain and snow and never close it.

I found it by looking up chicken coop -- honestly, after I factor in time and hassle of picking up supplies and time spent building, it's cheaper for me to buy a coop, and we need another coop ASAP, but im looking for something for 15-25 large breed birds -- and was very impressed by his speed and honesty. I'd go look before agreeing to buy though. He says they go fast, and he is located in North East.

For anybody looking for a smallish coop, watch the CL in Baltimore. There is a guy who makes and sells coops for a fairly decent price on there. There is a roost and 3 nest boxes. The coops sit on the ground, and I'm not a fan of that myself (I have two such coops we built, and I hate dealing with them because I am tall and the ground is low). He says 8-10 chickens, but I would not put that many in there except to sleep. There is a window that you close and a little door; obviously not a walk in though. He sent me photos, and if it were me, I would cover the window in hardware cloth to improve ventilation, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of venting, and consendation and ammonia could be an issue. I'd probably work out a way to keep out the rain and snow and never close it.

I found it by looking up chicken coop -- honestly, after I factor in time and hassle of picking up supplies and time spent building, it's cheaper for me to buy a coop, and we need another coop ASAP, but im looking for something for 15-25 large breed birds -- and was very impressed by his speed and honesty. I'd go look before agreeing to buy though. He says they go fast, and he is located in North East.

I have come to the same conclusion about buying versus building a coop. It just doesn't make sense to build in my situation. I am looking to eventually add a large coop too. Will you share what you find here

I am looking at these ones myself http://designercoops.blogspot.com/ I have all the wood, everything needed to build one (except for the windows), but just not interested in building more myself. My husband thinks the DIY version might work for us as he could side it, and honestly, he is pretty good at that, to match our run in shed.

They say they will knock some off if you provide supplies, so I'm waiting to hear back on that.

Last edited:
I am looking at these ones myself http://designercoops.blogspot.com/ I have all the wood, everything needed to build one (except for the windows), but just not interested in building more myself. My husband thinks the DIY version might work for us as he could side it, and honestly, he is pretty good at that, to match our run in shed.

They say they will knock some off if you provide supplies, so I'm waiting to hear back on that.

They will--Erin sent me a quote but we ended up building our own. Of course, I need a second coop now and if my boyfriend keeps resisting on building one..... I may take the pickup and just go pick one up myself. :)

But those coops are BEAUTIFUL, look extremely well-built and tidy, and they used to have some sitting outside the Frederick Co-op (and holding the little chicks inside!).

Last edited:
They will--Erin sent me a quote but we ended up building our own. Of course, I need a second coop now and if my boyfriend keeps resisting on building one..... I may take the pickup and just go pick one up myself. :)

But those coops are BEAUTIFUL, look extremely well-built and tidy, and they used to have some sitting outside the Frederick Co-op (and holding the little chicks inside!).
I got one of those at the Co-op. Love the whole set up.

Hrm, didn't knock off as much as I'd hoped by providing all the supplies (we have the plans and the wood and everything!) and doing the siding and roof ourselves to match our run in shed, and my husband is having a litter of kittens at the idea of hiring out coop building. Um, dude, you aren't here 3 nights a week, I am at work when you are home...exactly when are you gonna build another coop? A big coop? It took him 5 months to build a run in shed for the horses. I have 15 chicks growing faster than that. I'm kinda tired of doing it myself and it not turning out so well. So I'm debating going ahead and ordering it or letting him stew about it.

Anyhow, she said it would be $600 for them to frame it, even with us supplying all the lumber and us siding and roofing it. Ouch. ETA: and funny thing is, hubby was kinda ok with hiring out until he heard that. Now he's muttering on about how he can build it for that price. Sure can, but WHEN??

He did relent about having someone come till when I staked out the garden; the crazy man had said he would do it by hand and save the $200 until he saw the space. It's 100x120. I am growing some feedstuff for the chickens ;)

Last edited:

We need to find one asap! It seems like every tick across the street has moved into our yard!!! Everyday I come in and I have at least one climbing on me I need somekinda coop or something so I can rent some chickens or something! Anyone have any old or spent chickens they're willing to rent/sell? I don't care how old as long as they'll eat ticks I'm scared to let my son out in the garden with me, do ducks eat ticks too??

Back
Top Bottom