MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
Hey Marylanders, here's a little update as to what is coming this June 8th at the poultry swap. This is just what I have heard is coming. Most folks just show up and are ready to sell. As always it will be the best selection in the mid-Atlantic region of backyard poultry. Hope to see you there! Website: http://mdpoultryswap.blogspot.com/

welsh harlequin and runner ducks, bantam call ducks in many colors, moscovy ducklings and breeders in many colors, holderread geese in blue american and white emdens, sebastapol goslings and some breeding pairs, red star pullets, polish (many different varieties) GLW, SLW (golden and silver laced wyandottes) silkies (splash and partridge) coturnix quail, turkens, "bannies" sumatra (couple different breeders) red sex link pullets, blue swedish ducks, dominiques, lakenvelder, white marans, welsummer, barnevelder, wheaten marans, oegb (old english game bantams) japs, d'uccle, serama, more silkies, bantam cochins in many colors, guineas, brahmas (some lights and darks and rare varieties like buff laced and silver laced, lavender columbian and black, bourbon red, black spanish, blue slate, production white, royal palm, eastern wild and wishard bronze turks, red golden, ring neck, amhurst, splash, peach, cinnamon and silver pheasants, lots of peafowl (breeders and peachicks), speckled sussex, faverolles, more polish (fancy show quality and pet quality including tolbunt and buff laced polish), fly ties, long tails, light Sussex, cuckoo Marans, easter eggers, polish roos, black australorps, exotic pheasant eggs, a trio of breeding silver pheasants, baby pheasants, a few Netherland dwarf rabbits. Poultry supplies. Succulents. Pitcher plants, old trowels, decorative flower pots, and some wrought iron trellises. Also wind chimes, gourds, and garden accent stuff, black and wheaten rosecombs, delawares, old rusty barn stuff, peachicks and turkey poults, Cuckoo Marans, Speckled Sussex, Red Blue Laced Wyndottes, Red Leghorns and numerous bantams. Bunnies, Bunnies Bunnies! hatching eggs, some pigeons, lots of tie dye, vegan handmade soap, original artwork and maybe some local honey, handmade farm signs, hanging baskets, veggie plants, perennials, and bedding flowers, AKC purebred St. Bernard pups there. Will be 11 wks. old . Vet checked & shots. Very socialized - family raised !! Both parents are sweet, gentle dogs.
Will also have piles of chickens. GLW, SLW -Foley line, BLRW, Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, SLW/RIR, SLW/NH. All excellent layers of brown eggs. The ameraucanas lay blue eggs, Bad Hairs bags, on face book,will be going!With our unique feed sack bags,

Here's a link on Facebook for the event https://www.facebook.com/events/344463028998198/

We had a fox attack at 11 a.m. when the portable coop/ run was parked only 20-30 feet from the house. It couldn't get in the run so everyone was safe and I sent the dogs after it. Haven't seen it since it flew over the fence barely escaping the dogs. It was so fast I would not have been able to stop it myself. After seeing how fast it was we now always have at least one person and one dog out when the chickens are free ranging. quote name="Maligator Love" url="/t/63745/maryland-thread/810#post_11285690"]I live in hanover, md and we have had a whole flock taken out by a raccoon but that was years ago. Now I keep my girls in a 12 x 12 dog kennel with chicken wire going around it and a heavy duty tarp for a roof. Their house is in the kennel and it has a sandy dirt bottom with a few rocks in the soft spot around the edge .So far nothing has goten in the kennel  but I have had a fox come durring the day and take out six of my girls. So at night you should be good to go but, make sure you know the wild life in your area because foxes generally only come at night but the one near me has learned to come durring the day. I only let them out when I am home or the dog is out to watch them. 
[/quote]

Help! I came home from work just an hour ago, to find my three children in our coop with two Buff Orpington chicks(my husband's idea to surprise me). We have everything set up, for hens!! (I was going to purchase at the swap). I don't know how old they are. I have starter feed,feeder, water feeder, water treatment, scratch, and a coop ready for hens. Sawdust bottom-run has sand. Any help would be appreciated! !

Hey Marylanders, here's a little update as to what is coming this June 8th at the poultry swap. This is just what I have heard is coming. Most folks just show up and are ready to sell. As always it will be the best selection in the mid-Atlantic region of backyard poultry. Hope to see you there! Website: http://mdpoultryswap.blogspot.com/ welsh harlequin and runner ducks, bantam call ducks in many colors, moscovy ducklings and breeders in many colors, holderread geese in blue american and white emdens, sebastapol goslings and some breeding pairs, red star pullets, polish (many different varieties) GLW, SLW (golden and silver laced wyandottes) silkies (splash and partridge) coturnix quail, turkens, "bannies" sumatra (couple different breeders) red sex link pullets, blue swedish ducks, dominiques, lakenvelder, white marans, welsummer, barnevelder, wheaten marans, oegb (old english game bantams) japs, d'uccle, serama, more silkies, bantam cochins in many colors, guineas, brahmas (some lights and darks and rare varieties like buff laced and silver laced, lavender columbian and black, bourbon red, black spanish, blue slate, production white, royal palm, eastern wild and wishard bronze turks, red golden, ring neck, amhurst, splash, peach, cinnamon and silver pheasants, lots of peafowl (breeders and peachicks), speckled sussex, faverolles, more polish (fancy show quality and pet quality including tolbunt and buff laced polish), fly ties, long tails, light Sussex, cuckoo Marans, easter eggers, polish roos, black australorps, exotic pheasant eggs, a trio of breeding silver pheasants, baby pheasants, a few Netherland dwarf rabbits. Poultry supplies. Succulents. Pitcher plants, old trowels, decorative flower pots, and some wrought iron trellises. Also wind chimes, gourds, and garden accent stuff, black and wheaten rosecombs, delawares, old rusty barn stuff, peachicks and turkey poults, Cuckoo Marans, Speckled Sussex, Red Blue Laced Wyndottes, Red Leghorns and numerous bantams. Bunnies, Bunnies Bunnies! hatching eggs, some pigeons, lots of tie dye, vegan handmade soap, original artwork and maybe some local honey, handmade farm signs, hanging baskets, veggie plants, perennials, and bedding flowers, AKC purebred St. Bernard pups there. Will be 11 wks. old . Vet checked & shots. Very socialized - family raised !! Both parents are sweet, gentle dogs. Will also have piles of chickens. GLW, SLW -Foley line, BLRW, Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, SLW/RIR, SLW/NH. All excellent layers of brown eggs. The ameraucanas lay blue eggs, Bad Hairs bags, on face book,will be going!With our unique feed sack bags, Here's a link on Facebook for the event https://www.facebook.com/events/344463028998198/
I hate working weekends. I need desperately some blue Swedish female ducks. The boys are wandering and bugging the neighbors now looking for girls. know hubby won't go and buy them. Le sigh.

Kevin,

Welcome soon to the Shore!

Stephen Decatur is, I believe, supposed to be one of the best schools in the state. (At least, it was when I was researching the area 9 years ago)

http://library.municode.com/showDocumentFrame.aspx?clientID=15073&jobId=163709&docID=0

You are allowed up to 6 female chickens - no roosters, ducks, geese, turkeys, or other water/gamebirds. The link above gives more info. If you want to research other codes, there is a link on Berlin's homepage that says "Town Charter/Code."

If you move right outside of Berlin, into an unincorporated area, there are not many restrictions...in fact, you will have to sign an addendum that says this is a right to farm county, and anybody can just plop a commercial farming operation right next to your property.

Last edited:
Hey !

My family and I will be relocating to Delmarva before school starts this fall.

So far we like the Berlin MD area and its' schools.
(But are open to local opinions - please share.)

But I'm posting to ask, are laying hens allowed in Berlin, MD ?
If so - are there any rules regarding them ?

I've already checked the town web site and didn't find any chicken related info.

Thanks,

Kevin, Kim & Kids
Kevin,

Welcome! I grew up on the shore and love it. Now live just west of Berlin and spend the majority of my time in the vicinity. If you live in the town limits, you probably can't have any chickens. I believe my friend who lives in town looked into it and figured that out. There's a land minimum you must have, and most town lots don't have enough. But, you can easily find a home outside historic Berlin city limits and bypass that.

Back
Top Bottom