MARYLAND THREAD!

Sorry I couldn’t remember the name.
hide.gif
It’s an Alpaca Farm (that sells chickens) In Mt.Airy.Sorry!!!

Hello Marylanders. I am in western MD near Boonsboro. Just started out with BBS Orpington chicks. Hope to be able to exhibit in a few years.

Joe
TurnedLuck.com

I am
i just want to say that carroll county might be the biggest farm county but baltimor COUNTY [not city] i think is probably he 2nd biggest, and i love baltimore county! can you say coun-try! oh hi henry!
I am near Annapolis MD in Riva. Have about a dozen layers. Had a fox problem but fixed and built new coop. Have 5 older layers and 7 younger who have not started just yet. Wondering what to feed older hens when they are done laying to plump them up a bit for a useful ending. Any suggestion and comments welcome.

I am
I am near Annapolis MD in Riva. Have about a dozen layers. Had a fox problem but fixed and built new coop. Have 5 older layers and 7 younger who have not started just yet. Wondering what to feed older hens when they are done laying to plump them up a bit for a useful ending. Any suggestion and comments welcome.

I have not gotten to that point yet but will with one 2 year old hen whose eggs are now too watery to sell. My guess would be to use a meat bird ration whether pellets or crumbles along with some scratch. The meat birds feed has a higher protein rating which helps rebuild them. Laying eggs does cause a continuous drain on proteins and calcium. Others may have some more experienced thoughts to offer.
smile.png

I am

There really is no way to plump up a laying hen as they are not meat birds. Any plumping that is done will just be fat added to their body. That can be done with corn. But older hens are only good for making stew with. Their meat will be too tough for anything else. Just an FYI, I feed all my birds, from the day old all the way up to the 2 year olds, chick starter/grower which is 20% protein. Laying hens get oyster shells in their pens. It is a lot easier to buy one feed when you have multiple age groups.

Hi! I'm new to chickens, and got 6 day old chicks. Being my first time owning chickens, I figured that one or two would die, but lo and behold, all of them are alive today! I live in Bethesda, and I'm wondering if there is anyone near me who has chickens. Also, my pullets are about to lay, and I'm wondering when a good time to switch them over to layers food would be, if anyone could help that'd be great!

Back
Top Bottom