MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
Hello Old Line State!
Been reading BYC for a while, finally joined.
Live in Southern Maryland near the Bay, have been spending time with chickens here for almost 30 years - learned most of what I know about poultry the hard way.
Done most of it - incubated. mail order, feed store chicks. Ducks, geese, chickens, turkeys.
Love the County fairs around here, even took a few Blue Ribbons in Crossbred categories.
Now my 13 y.o. grandson keeps Banties with us and is the next Poultryman in the family.
Holla back Maryland.

Hello Old Line State!
Been reading BYC for a while, finally joined.
Live in Southern Maryland near the Bay, have been spending time with chickens here for almost 30 years - learned most of what I know about poultry the hard way.
Done most of it - incubated. mail order, feed store chicks. Ducks, geese, chickens, turkeys.
Love the County fairs around here, even took a few Blue Ribbons in Crossbred categories.
Now my 13 y.o. grandson keeps Banties with us and is the next Poultryman in the family.
Holla back Maryland.

Welcome to the Maryland thread ( I live on the MD/PA line). You'll like it on here, but try not to get addicted to BYC!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

I have been trying to find out the laws on raising chickens in Harford County, how many allowed, having to register them ect where do I go to find this information out. We have 4 Ameracannas that we hatched at my school the first week of June and I need to bring them home to my house.. If anyone can send me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.. I am a newbie on this chicken stuff..thanks

"Hate to be a buzz kill but thought it was well known that some Amish are notorious for puppy mills. It's not too far off the mark they have "secondary" chicks. I've spent years working with the Humane Society and Change.org to get better regulations, more humane treatment for puppy mill dogs. Please don't buy from anyone like that. Often times the poor dogs are housed behind barns, etc where the public can't see and have no idea that it is a puppy mill. If someone has several breeds of puppies or takes credit cards, it's a sure sign you're buying from the wrong person. I myself would rather buy hatchery chicks than some from Amish. Of course, there are always exceptions. I'm not trying to push my opinion, but the better we are informed, the better decisions we make. Hope this does not offend anyone. That is not my intentions. As G I Joe says "Knowing is half the battle!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The places i gave direction to all have really nice properties with very clean pens. My chicks have all been great. As a matter of fact I have never been on an Amish farm that mistreats anything. Amish are no different than any group of people. There are good and bad I am sure. But with the reasoning given I should not get chicks from white people the last couple places I visited were horrible.........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom