mascovy duck nest question

bonzaibritt

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 10, 2012
hello all, im new and really just trying to figure out this situation with my lil ducky friend lol. about 3 weeks ago i found an egg in a hollowed out area by my front door! 2 days later theres another lol! our neighborhood is FULL of the red faced mascovy ducks and the following day i found her sitting there and sure enough there was a 3rd egg. now, she DOES NOT nest on them for the day, and not even the whole night. we are in florida so its warm.. but thats not going to regulate them. theyre exposed to the sun also. some days she covers them with mulch haha. this mornings count is up to 16 eggs!im prettu convinced these eggs are toast, but theyve not gone stinky and still look ok...

everything ive read says they DONT leave the nest, so has anyone had anything like this happen?

She's doing what she is supposed to even though it may not be where YOU want her to lay! She may lay a few more eggs and then she will pull her down feathers from her chest and start sitting! Once she start sitting it will take about 36 days from then. She will come off her nest probably three times a day to bathe and eat and preen.

It would be nice of you....to feed her earth worms or dried mealy worms while she is sitting on her next to kind of supplement her food intake. Even tho Muscovies don't necessarily need a 'bath', they sure do look better and feel better with one. I give mine a small kids wading pool and change it daily. Then when the ducklings come, I prop up a board so they can walk up and in. Just be sure to put a large rock IN the pool for them to jump on to be able to jump back on the plank to get out.

I would just sit back and watch what happens. They can do everything by themselves, so don't feel you have to interfere. I just caught my hen in the back yard with a egg in her mouth! When I inspected it, it was just whites and yolk. She knew that that one wouldn't hatch (we are do in a week) and disposed of it. It is really fun to watch how they do with all with no thumbs!

Keep us posted and be sure to post pictures of the beauties when they hatch. Happy Spring also!

oooh ohh so they dont nest til theyve finished laying? shes started to put feathers into the nest lately if thats what you ment? shes wild and wont let me come up to her and hops off her nest if i come out the front door, but she does enjoy a treat of multigrain bread lol. i have plenty of meal worms as we have leopard geckos so thats no issue. theres a pond across the street all the ducks go to so im not sure theyd like a kiddy pool lol. i do hope they hatch!! i feel special she chose my front door haha.. probably because we have 6 dogs who bark and keep people away from bugging the nest :)

Sounds like you can start doing the count down!! Just be sure when they hatch that when they cross the road to the pond that you and your girlfriends stop traffic or you'll never be able to sleep!

Just like you throw her the bread, throw her the mealy worms. I'm sure she won't know what to do with them, but she will! She needs some extra protein during her 'down' time.

Good luck. Have fun.

Ok the duck pellet are great she loves them

Back
Top Bottom