Votes: 311 51.6%
  • crumbles

Votes: 213 35.3%
  • mash

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • other, please post what it is!

Votes: 33 5.5%

• Total voters
In the summer I like to feed 18% or 20% pellets when the heat is high enough the chickens stop feeding. When it cools down I use 16% crumbles since it keeps them busy because it takes longer to eat crumbles. I used a feeder that has an inward rolled rim that helps stop billing out. The best of both worlds are the mini-pellets, but they are hard to find.

Anyway, it is always funny when I come out to refill the chicken feeder an they sound so disappointed that I'm not bringing them greens or a windfall apple or another delicacy. They moan, cry, and complain; and I stand there explaining to them that they are chickens, and that chickens eat chicken feed. The entire time I'm talking, the chickens are making these horrendous sounds about the need for me to solve world hunger by giving them a treat - NOW!

I'm not big on mash since it seems the higher ranking birds pick through it and leave only what they don't want for the lower ranking birds, guaranteeing everyone an imbalanced diet.

My chickens love old fashion oat meal...that is how I coax them back into their pen, after free ranging for a few hours and if I have to leave the house.

Generally they get pellets, sometimes I add water to make a mash and they like that. I tired fermented feed for a while and they really didn't care for it much. This time of year on cold mornings I give them a mixture of pellets, oatmeal, dried baby cereal, egg maker pellets and poultry conditioner softened with hot water. In the summer I sometimes moisten the food with plain yogurt and they really love that.

I'm being a little dumb here. I know mash that is what I have feeding them, T hey waste a lot of feed. I keep trying different buckets to cut down on the waste. So what is the difference between the pellets and crumbles.

Transitioning the from crumbles to pellets starting today... mixed a 50-50 batch for the feeders in the run and coop. Pellets are clearly easier to deal with but wanted to soften the blow.... they'll get a mix for two weeks before I completely change it

I have really just started the Chicken thing. I bought some crumbles and they lasted a while. I bought some pellets and they went through them very fast. I have tries scratch grains and they eat it all but the corn. The corn lays around for ages. I would have to say at this time I like the crumbles best.
Now a question? What is the best brand or type of crumble to get for chickens that are for laying?
Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom