Votes: 311 51.6%
  • crumbles

Votes: 213 35.3%
  • mash

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • other, please post what it is!

Votes: 33 5.5%

• Total voters
pellets/ Throwing crumble around is almost like a game to my Silkies.
lol.png

My eleven chickens prefer crumbles. They are all pullets, about 30 weeks old. I have three feeders hanging, one inside the coop which has pellets and two under the coop, one has pellets and the other has crumbles. The chickens do not eat the pellets but will go through a 7 lb feeder of crumbles in roughly four days.

I use both crumbles and pellets. I have Meatbird, Layer, and non-medicated chick starter (not at the moment, I don't have babies) crumbles. I have Layer, All-Flock, and Feather Fixer Pellets.

I use a mix of crumbles, pellets and whole grains for a little diversity. I use standard layer crumbles, rabbit pellets (my pet rabbit died and we had a huge bag left) and whole oats. Mixed all together, we feed a big bowl daily to the entire flock. The small bantams grab up all the crumbles they can, the larger hens eat larger crumbles and grains and pellets, and the roosters get whatever pieces they can snatch up as well. While the bantams enjoy the crumbles, I've found that the larger birds will take the extra time scratching up the ground in search for every last morsel. We feed them on the ground rather than in a feeder, so they all are very experienced foragers. It certainly keeps the mess to a minimum.

Crumbles, wet. Chicks get dry crumbles until 3 or 4 weeks, then transitioned to wet crumbles. Not much gets wasted if any at all and I'm guessing due to the moisture absorption their poo is 'healthy poo' if ya know what I mean;-) Juveniles and adults all enjoy wet crumbles. I feed once a day, what they'll eat in a day so nothing major is left for pests at night. More dry feed had to be put out than wet feed so win, win.

Crumbles. I have 4 that are a year and a half and 10 pullets 7 months. The hens are messier than the pullets but the pullets clean up after the hens! The hens are more gentle around the plantings in the yard though! :thumbsup

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom