Votes: 311 51.6%
  • crumbles

Votes: 213 35.3%
  • mash

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • other, please post what it is!

Votes: 33 5.5%

• Total voters
I feed a straight scratch type mix of cracked corn and wheat. In winter I switch to a cracked corn and wheat with a crushed barley pellet, it runs a pretty high protein. I get them straight from a grainery. I have only dust as waste. My chickens, turkey, goats and cows devour it.

Yes. Mine waste crumbles. I decreased the amount the 'automatic' feeder dishes out to no avail. And when it hits the ground, bye-bye crumbles because they aren't going to eat it there.

I think the majority of comments I have read on right on target. Pellets are to be preferred for adult standard breeds. I have found that there is 40% less waste when using pellets. Chicks of course need mash and small birds need crumbles. If you want to feed one feed for a variety of birds then go with whichever best fits your need but realize that you are increasing waste for larger birds when using small food sizes. I'd rather use the best food for each requirement and keep a variety of foods.

Pellets and whole grains ... mostly. They do dive for the crumbles when I only put them out occasionally. But if I fill all the feeders with crumbles, then they just toss the feed on the floor and ignore it. We changed to pellets and also changed to home-made feedser for less waste.

Prefer half pellets - there are some mills that process pellets into half size so they are in between a crumble and a pellet - they aren't easy to find but I'm happy when I do find them. Otherwise, he birds prefer crumbles but I have a great direct mill source in Petaluma (chicken capital of the world) for regular size pellets so that is what I feed.

Reading through 14 so far pages it amazed me that he poll is showing pellets to be the front runner. I started with a cracked corn mix of high protein with medication included when they got old enough to get off of starter chick food and progress to adult feed. I experienced a ton of waste and sediment. I switched to cracked corn as a filler and crumbles mixed together. It got really picked over once again and created more mess and less sediment waste. I then gave pellets a try. The birds werent really happy and seemed to be searching for more than what was offered.
I am surprized not many are using poultry scratch. It contains corn, wheat, milo, oats and vegetable oil. I now mix this with Poultry egg layer crumbles. It contains corn, wheat, soybean and multiple vitamins. My birds are devouring it and there is little waste but I still have a mess that undoubtedly will always be there with chickens. I am fortunate this product is made in my home state of Michigan and a product of the USA. My birds look good, eat good and I feel good finally finding a combo that works for all of us! :clap

Back
Top Bottom