mass on Chicken's wing

mgltan

Hatching
Dec 29, 2017
Can anyone shed some light on the plight of my 7 year old Pekin/Belgian Esther?

This incredibly large and ugly mass has literally come up overnight. She's pretty fluffy, so it may have been slowly growing, but all of a sudden it seems to have come out of nowhere. The mass is soft and seems fluid filled - around a hard stump, like where the base of where a flight feather might grow. She seems otherwise healthy and happy, and is eating and scratching around normally.

I'm hoping it's just a simple infection, in which case I'll pop to the vet or can source the antibiotics myself. If it's a tumor or something that needs an operation though, I'm afraid she'll have to go for a long sleep as I just don't have the money for that sort of intervention.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0164.png
    IMG_0164.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 114
When I saw this photo I have to admit I let out a loud yelp. How long has this "thing" been apparent? Did you just notice it? Does it have a foul odor?

I haven't ever seen an infection look like this. I'd guess it's a tumor. If you have a vet, you need to look into what it might cost to have this looked at.

@casportpony , @Eggcessive , @Wyorp Rock , @oldhenlikesdogs , @coach723 , @dawg53 what do you guys make of this?

Looks tumor to me. :hmm It must have been growing but it wasn't noticeable until now. I will defer to those more expert than me to see what others think.

When I saw this photo I have to admit I let out a loud yelp. How long has this "thing" been apparent? Did you just notice it? Does it have a foul odor?

I haven't ever seen an infection look like this. I'd guess it's a tumor. If you have a vet, you need to look into what it might cost to have this looked at.

@casportpony , @Eggcessive , @Wyorp Rock , @oldhenlikesdogs , @coach723 , @dawg53 what do you guys make of this?
I don't know what to make of it. I would say tumor as well.
Hopefully @Eggcessive will be along soon and give her thoughts.

It may be a malignant tumor, possibly in the bone or cartilage, such as a chondrosarcoma or osteosarcoma. I would have a vet look at it, or think about putting her down if she starts to suffer. The other possibility is a huge feather cyst, which can be common around wings. Here is some reading about those:
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/feather-cysts-in-birds

I've been spending the day on a surfing safari through the web with Mr Google. I've seen a large variety of ghastly photos, but nothing like the one provided on this thread. I've found nothing of real value, although what I've seen makes me lean toward this case being a very large feather cyst perhaps infected.

First, is there a bad smell to this growth? If it smells bad, this is significant of an infection or a malignancy that is nearing the end of its ability to live off its host.

I strongly advise a visit to a vet that will agree to surgery if necessary. In the absence of a vet, and this would be my predicament, I would probably lean toward assuming it's a cyst and try my hand at surgically removing the mass.

I would need an assistant to hold the patient immobile. You can do this by wrapping the chicken securely in a large towel to confine feet, normal wing and the abnormal wing exposed. If you can cover the head and eyes, the chicken will be calm.

After sterilzing a razor blade, assemble cotton balls, Q-tips, and soft tissues, along with Vetericyn spray and sterile water and liquid soap or Betadine. I would wash the tumor or cyst with soap and water or Betadine or Vetericyn and make an incision across the middle of the growth as long as the length of it.

Then, applying firm pressure on each side of the incision, push out the contents. If it's a cyst, the contents will pop out freely, and any remaining material can be scooped out with a Q-tip. After you do this, spray again with Vetericyn or liberally douse with Betadine and mop off any oozing fluid with cotton balls until it stops oozing. Spray one last time with Vetericyn and let the chicken rest away from the flock until the incision closes. It shouldn't take long. You may return the patient to the flock if you dab the wound with Blu-kote to discourage other chickens from picking the wound.

When you make the incision and you find a firm, waxy, yellow substance that isn't cohesive, in addition to a cyst or in the absence of a cyst this may be pus and a sign of infected tissue. A good general oral antibiotic is probably a good idea after cleaning the loose pus out of the wound.

If you find that the growth is solid inside with veins, it probably can be assumed it's a tumor. I would then probably stop right there and euthanize the patient.

Last edited:
Your poor hen! Does she seem to be in any distress? I'm so sorry that she's got this awful lump...
I've never seen anything like this, we can only hope some more experienced people will chime in, maybe someone has had something similar happen...

Back
Top Bottom