Mass on head **updated pics**

Dknichelson

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
A few weeks ago I posted about a limp on our chickens head. Over the weeks we've watched it, it hasn't grown much other than growing with her, she has no upper resperitory symptoms, she's eats well and acts normal. We have noticed, however, that fleas seem to embed themselves in it like ticks. When we notice them, we remove them, but they seem to congregate around it. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Should we try to remove the limo somehow?

We removed about 10 embedded fleas tonight

I am a newbie at chickens but I do know that tumors of any type usually have a huge blood supply and with that lump being so close to the skin by her eye that is so thin I think the fleas have found a 'blood feeding spot' I would treat her for fleas and ticks. She may need to see a vet to see if that is a tumor..for the time being I would try warm compresses to see if it is an impacted pin feather or some other type of follicle issue. Do the other birds peck at her there? I would def. get to the bottom of what ever that is.

I am a newbie at chickens but I do know that tumors of any type usually have a huge blood supply and with that lump being so close to the skin by her eye that is so thin I think the fleas have found a 'blood feeding spot' I would treat her for fleas and ticks. She may need to see a vet to see if that is a tumor..for the time being I would try warm compresses to see if it is an impacted pin feather or some other type of follicle issue. Do the other birds peck at her there? I would def. get to the bottom of what ever that is.

I think your right about the blood supply. After looking more, the fleas seem to be sticktight fleas. I've lived in FL my entire life and have countless cats and dogs and I've never heard of sticktight fleas up until now! So, we're going to treat them for the fleas and treat the coop/run. As far as the tumor goes, I'll have to see what vet see's chickens around here and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom