Massacre in the coop

Let us know if you catch any CrookedCoop. I got one the first night I set the trap, but coons are smart, so they've avoided the trap since then. I've been watching them on the camera, and even though the coop is empty, they're still trying to get in. I've since reinforced the weak spots in the run, so they're resorting to digging, which won't work. In addition to burying hardware cloth, I also added huge railroad ties around the permimeter as a buffer. There's no moving those things! I'm also installing a steel automatic coop door, so even if they get into the run at night, they won't be able to get into the coop. Also in the cue is a run of electric fence. The new chicks arrived this past week and my young daughter has already named them! So, if this batch gets eaten, the coop may become my new home :/

Last edited:
Move the live trap around a bit, and consider letting them into the empty coop, with more traps. You could spend a nice evening with your 22 ready to go too. I found that the larger sized live trap is very enticing, with canned cat food. Mary

I'm really sorry for your loss, CrookedCoop. I had a similar loss last week (10 birds). My coop has been in use for over two years now, and never had any problems. That was, until last week when five or six raccoons managed to move several large boulders and squeezed their way under my raised coop. I had no idea they could be so strong. I have an inexpensive wifi cam installed in my run so I was able to review the carnage (Yi Home Camera on Amazon - highly recommended!). It was tough to watch, but it was entirely my fault and I'm not letting anything happen to my next flock. I'm in the process of installing wire hardware cloth along all sides along with burried extra large flagstones so they can't tunnel under. I'm also installing electric fencing around the perimeter since I have an electrical outlet nearby.

With several weeks before my new chicks can be relocated to the coop, I'm taking this time to eliminate every coon I can trap. Catch and release is out of the question at this point... especially after watching them tear up my helpless birds. As chicken owners, it's our responsibility to protect our flocks, which is why I still feel terrible. Never again!
Raccoon management or coon control is a two step proposition. A good coop is essential but so are a large number of dead coons.

When working a nuisance coon trapping job ,i look at where im trapping if its residential with cat possibility i use sweet baits ,fruity,, cats arent atractted to sweet s,if rural i use catfood with shell fish oil ,and i use DP traps ,,,another term DOGproof trap ,, you anchor your trap on the outside of coop anchor very solidly ,then have the trap set and drizzle the bait in ,the coon will reach in the one inch hole trigger the trap and walla no chickens killed that night ,coon are held securely by paw till you get there,, this trap will not hurt dogs because dogs paw cannot enter trigger area of trap ,will catch Possums Also.

about a month ago we had a coon climb the fence at 530 am ....woke us up then we ran out to the pen and saw him with one of my reds. we locked him in the coop and then put the rest of the hens in a tucker then let him out should of killed it but didn't, that one didn't make it. haven't seen him since. plenty of foxes in the area tho.

Last edited:
The main thing with a coon killing chickens is they will come back nightly ,they will not finish till the supply of chickens are gone ,i never let a chicken killer come back ,if you miss him the first night he will be back ,its imperative that you finish off the coon.

Back
Top Bottom