Massive incoming grain and food shortages

Pics
Be careful, I had been using purina, and got almost 20 bags of rotten feed. Like, not feed that had rotted in the bag, but that was made with moldy/spoiled ingredients. I can only assume that it was stuck in shipping due to supply chain issues (the grain) and molded, and they didn’t want to lose money so they used it anyways. Also even in the best conditions, pellet feed is only really storable for a few months. Especially over warmer and wetter seasons. Dry/cold conditions longer, but not much. And you don’t want to spend a ton on feed you can’t use when you need it. Thankfully I found a local company (beaver) that has amazing feed, and who also has a center that will hand mix any special types you want, or sell you anything in bulk for great prices as well. Which is great for now. And I will never use purina again. That’s for sure.
I was going to stock up on feed when I got some extra cash but if it will go bad that quick may not be a good idea. I believe raingarden has a good idea if it gets to tight we will have to use most are chickens for food.

My layer wasn’t the organic, but then I bought some of the purina organic all flock, because Wilco only sold purina, and had the same problem. I asked the manager why they keep selling it if so many people bring it back. And what if they don’t notice and their animals get sick? And they said “unless they recall it we sell it”. I was so mad.
That is so wrong

This is an important topic.. working full time hinders me quite a bit but I have got some good ideas from you all. Thank you. I won't be buying Purina chix feed again and will look to see if Maine has a local mill. Will also start growing stuff they can eat
I’m going to see if there is a local mill around where I live just 40 min. North of charlotte NC . I have been using purina fyom TSC. No more!

Tractor supply sells fly traps called “trap and toss”. They work really well. You can just dump some dead flies and add more water a couple of times before you think about throwing it away.
I’ve been using the fly traps that are sticky long strips that hang down , you hang them up with a thumb tack that comes with it. They work good but cannot be used in the coop where the chickens could get to them that would be a mess getting them off the poor chickens :he:eek:
The traps ya’ll are talking about sound like a bag they fly in?

I’ve been using the fly traps that are sticky long strips that hang down , you hang them up with a thumb tack that comes with it. They work good but cannot be used in the coop where the chickens could get to them that would be a mess getting them off the poor chickens :he:eek:
The traps ya’ll are talking about sound like a bag they fly in?
Its a dome, you put some water and bait packs in it (stinkyyyy) and they fly into it and cannot get out. Best i have used. The strips have caught good bugs and even small wild birds, these traps are much better.
And you can empty them and just buy new baits.
Starbar Trap N Toss Disposable Fly Trap https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/starbar-trap-n-toss-disposable-fly-trap
1656787987267.png

I have been drying and storing excess garden produce and leaves for my future chickens and meat rabbits. Here's a partial list:
Pea pods
Pea shoots trimmed occasionally
Pea plants pulled while still green
Beet greens
Nasturtium
Carrot tops
Raspberry and blackberry leaves and canes
Borage leaves
Bean leaves
Corn plants and husks (not silks)

I'm also growing BOSS and amaranth for them. Will save the entire plant and hang to dry. Hoping to feed as little commercial feed as possible.

Back
Top Bottom