Mated Pigeon Question

My camera sucks šŸ˜­ But here she is!

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_145443935.jpg
    IMG_20200215_145443935.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 4
Kind of a silly question, but how do I go about cleaning the nest? Is it okay to move the babies and swap in fresh hay and put them back?

I usually change the poopy nest material around the time I band them at about 5 days old. Before that time I would just add a clean layer of wood shavings or straw over the mess if necessary. Soon after that they will begin to point their butts over the edge of the nest to poop and the nest will stay pretty clean.

I usually change the poopy nest material around the time I band them at about 5 days old. Before that time I would just add a clean layer of wood shavings or straw over the mess if necessary. Soon after that they will begin to point their butts over the edge of the nest to poop and the nest will stay pretty clean.
Ah okay! I was afraid to move them and mess up mom and dad šŸ¤£ I was wondering why they weren't pooping over the edge. Also yeah, she's Ash red! I tried to get a better picture but she was eating and throwing seed all over and I had like 10 pics of a red blur. Thanks again for answering!!

Kind of a silly question, but how do I go about cleaning the nest? Is it okay to move the babies and swap in fresh hay and put them back?

I wouldn't do anything until they are at least a week old, and if you are in a cold area I would wait even longer. Some parents don't mind you messing with the nest - others may abandon, especially first time parents.

Don't rush it, if I do anything I wait till their pin feathers start to bloom. I was always interactive with my birds so they didn't mind going in there and examining the peepers. My hand has wing slap a few times, but that's just their thing.

Back
Top Bottom