Math skills are important when raising chickens...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Camelot Farms, May 19, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

And this is why...

Current layers over the age of 3... We have 8.
    They will be going to freezer camp this fall.
    Needed to replace them.

Southern States... 4 BO, 4 SS and 6 EE = 14
    Order from hatchery... 10 BLRW and 8 Sicilian = 18

For a total of 32.

8=32

Oh dear!

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I agree. I went from 9 chickens at the end of winter/beginning of spring and some how I am up to 92ish.......Still not sure how it happened.....

3. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

4. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG]

5. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    For me, it was my husband saying that he'd like 10-15 chickens - which I interpreted as 10-15 DOZEN chickens [​IMG]. I mean, eggs come in dozens, so, shouldn't chickens? I'm still working on reaching that number, though [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  6. WV_Hillbilly70

WV_Hillbilly70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Nashville, Indiana
    So what you're saying is that my 11 will become 34 in 3 years?????? COOL!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:See....another math challenged person... my original 6 became 34 the 1st year and then those 34 turned into 116 in the 2nd year.
    Keep up with the group WV!!! [​IMG]

8. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I know for certain that we have 60+ right now (I'm sure I'd be shocked if I actually counted), broodies EVERYWHERE and now my hubby says "Hey, we should get ducks." Can you say OMG! [​IMG] Oh, did I forget to mention that I've ordered 90+ hatching eggs of different breeds that'll be arriving this week??!! [​IMG]

9. tigerkitten45

tigerkitten45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    NH
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hilarious but sad, as i know exactly what you mean.....my original order of 10 bantams has turned into 30-40+ inc. some standards! Bobhouse was turned into a 8x8, then added in a 3x5 2nd coop, and i think i am gonna have to convince hubby we need a huge coop besides [​IMG]

10. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    My hens laid eggs and I incubated four batches which upped the hen count to 15 with two roos. (All other roos have been dispatched to the stew pot) Bantam cochins at the poultry show...two more. Hatchery order in Feb. of 23 - lost 4 total so now we are up to 36 (roo disappeared last week) and new hatch this weekend of 7 more...DragonBallZ (Hey! My grandson named her) is sitting ten eggs as I write. I just needed a couple of dozen eggs a week so the other 6 dozen are going home with DS and BFF and to work with DH. Built small coops for the cochins and silkies with a shared run. Have two large coops adjoining with a divisible shared run. Gonna build the JG's their own coop and run in the next few weeks. And I still don't have any seramas or welsummers or marans or .... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by