math. with chickens.

chickencutie

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Worth
so im kinda new to the chicken thing. about 8 months and loving every second! just wondering- what exactly is chicken math? is it just the fact that once you get chickens there's no turning back and eventually you expand and get more? cuz that's totally me!!
woot.gif

Chicken math in my situation. I used to be able to say, without any doubt, that I had 14 chickens. Fourteen chickens was all I planned to have in one coop.
Now I just say I have 30 something chickens, two coops and am shopping for a third coop. Using the "something" part after a rough estimate is a good idea, especially when dealing with a less-than-enthusiastic spouse.

ah. i get it now.
big_smile.png
i'd probably be at 30 something too if i was the adult. but my parents won't go that far. not yet anyway...
wink.png

big_smile.png
HAHA!! Chicken math is when you're standing at TSC and tell the Hubby we'll start out with a few and buy 14 before you have a complete chicken coop. Then, less than a year later when someone asks you how many chickens you have and you tell them anywhere between 60 and 70....

when i get married, that will be me.
lol.png
TSC is a great place for going to buy a specific thing and coming back with a lot of random stuff.
smile.png
i've convinced my dad to turn our old playset into a really big coop so we're probably gonna get like, at least 10 more chickens.
fl.gif
he already has me picking out my favorite breeds. the only thing is i'm not allowed to get any roosters. we only have one but he's a big talker.
wink.png

Chicken math is when zoning says you can have 12 and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you don't.

When the neighbors ask how many you have you smile and say 12 knowing that it's impossible to count them as they don't exactly stand still and they are trying to count from 3 properties away through a chain link fence partially covered in foliage.

Incubating chicken math: You set 100 eggs, but know that only 50 will hatch, and 25 of those are roosters that you get rid of, so you really only hatched 25 chickens. Chicken math.

If you want to see real chicken math, get a rooster and a couple of broody hens.....Then, it becomes chicken vocabulary. Can you say, Exponential...I thought you could.

32991_img_2010.jpg

I have 14 chickens.

I don't count the 5 that hatched last month or the 7 eggs a broody is setting. Baby chicks aren't chickens, right?????

Back
Top Bottom