Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

I am also no expert by any means. I work in healthcare and have just seen some of the challenges presented by amputations and prosthetics. I really hope that between all of the suggestions that have been proposed to you, that at least one of them works for Matilda. I won't be at all offended if my suggestion isn't feasible or practical. It is a lot of work and is a huge time investment.
Your words allow me the chance to admit the following. I was meticulous for many months with her wound care. But as she regained her mobility, I slacked off a Little bit. One or two times recently a bandage slipped off while she was outside, leaving her stump in contact with the soil. And once her bandages got wet while I was running a hose to refill chicken waterers. In other words I discontinued taking Perfect care of her stumps. It must have been one of those times when her stumps were exposed to staph.

I've never dealt with an amputee of any species before, but after discovering the scabs, literally thought to myself "Well I guess caring for an amputee is never done." I've learned my lesson and will never again slack up. Many here have given great ideas as far as extra padding. Combined with my resuming being meticulous in keeping her stumps covered and dry, hopefully Matilda will soon be moving around better than ever.

Your words allow me the chance to admit the following. I was meticulous for many months with her wound care. But as she regained her mobility, I slacked off a Little bit. One or two times recently a bandage slipped off while she was outside, leaving her stump in contact with the soil. And once her bandages got wet while I was running a hose to refill chicken waterers. In other words I discontinued taking Perfect care of her stumps. It must have been one of those times when her stumps were exposed to staph.

I've never dealt with an amputee of any species before, but after discovering the scabs, literally thought to myself "Well I guess caring for an amputee is never done." I've learned my lesson and will never again slack up. Many here have given great ideas as far as extra padding. Combined with my resuming being meticulous in keeping her stumps covered and dry, hopefully Matilda will soon be moving around better than ever.
I certainly wish all the best for Matilda and you as well. Don't be so hard on yourself. I can obviously see that Matilda has one heck of a support system and you've gone far above and beyond what a lot of people would do. It's a huge commitment caring for a disability, whether it be animal or human. You have provided her with excellent care and I'm honestly extremely proud that you've cared for her for this length of time. Hopefully between some ideas suggested and the care you provide her, she'll be getting back to normal mobility. I applaud you for all the time, effort and care that you've given her.

One more idea... you say she has spurs. If possible, you could make/have made a prosthetic that "cups" around the back of her leg and uses the spur as its anchor point. A strap above the spur and a strap below the spur. This would alleviate pressure on the actual stump end and would end up being more or less an external type brace, rather than fitting over the stump end. I've drawn some (very crude) pictures to illustrate what it might resemble. One view is the front and another would be a side view.

Attachments

• 20220121_002840.jpg
    20220121_002840.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220121_002832.jpg
    20220121_002832.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 9
You're doing great! Glad to hear Matilda's doing so well. I honestly thought, when this journey began, that she would not, could not, survive her injuries. Thank you for the update.

A suggestion: document everything, even the setbacks and failures. Preferably on film. Matilda may make a wonderful book or movie some day. And lessons learned may certainly benefit another chicken, duck or who knows what kind of amputee some day, and the human(s) trying to help. Who knows, she may even help human amputees some day! There is, I believe, some greater purpose to her life and your efforts than just keeping her going.

Best wishes!

One more idea... you say she has spurs. If possible, you could make/have made a prosthetic that "cups" around the back of her leg and uses the spur as its anchor point. A strap above the spur and a strap below the spur. This would alleviate pressure on the actual stump end and would end up being more or less an external type brace, rather than fitting over the stump end. I've drawn some (very crude) pictures to illustrate what it might resemble. One view is the front and another would be a side view.
A duck prosthetic might afford her a little more stability because of the wider "foot". And you could have the first chicken with duck feet!

Back
Top Bottom