mating at 10 weeks?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Myst4, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    My older chicks are 10 weeks old this past Sunday. Yesterday I caught one of the young roos mating with an adult hen ! Today I caught 2 of the young roos trying to mate with their sisters and their sisters aren't even laying eggs yet! Aren't they a little young?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    That sounds a little young to me. But i've noticed the males do mature faster than the females. Once those hormones kick in, that's all they can think about.

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

"Technically" if that were true they'd die in a week, just girls, girls, and more girls!!! [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    my flock is 12 weeks old. I have one young roo. No mating yet.

5. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Wow...I think mine must have testosterone over load! I'm amazed that my leghorn chick seems like an old pro at it(he's the one who mated with an adult hen, hope my Silver Laced Wyandotte,his father, doesn't catch wind of it) Oh and I am editing to add this...the little roos chase the females around like their father...trying to mount them! Oh boy....are they fertile at this age? I wouldn't think so..but I could be wrong.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  6. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    My bantam cochins started that young but I don't think the girls are letting them get anywhere and my head roo is surely not having it. I have to get the breeding pens set up soon though so I can separate them for their own good, lol.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by