Mating bantam

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Jan 20, 2009.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Is it possible for a bantam roo to fertilize a full size chicken like a buff orp? My roo mounts them, grabs them by the back of the neck and his business end is only at the middle of their back. This seems to keep him content but he will have to move a long way back to do a positive business.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Ok the picture that brough to mind is pretty funny! Yes they can mate but not when their business end is too far from the vent!!!!!

3. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    well.. i have PROOF (babies) that a fillefluer duccle rooster CAN breed full size hens..
    yes it is very funny looking and awkward.. but they get the job done.

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:When isn't it? [​IMG]

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

have been seeing that same scenario here... Mr. Big Stuff really gives it the old college try, but I don't know if he's ever been entirely successful with my BOs and AustralOrps. The girls mainly just look annoyed.. [​IMG]

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i think the girls have to HELP (by turning their tails) in order for him to actually breed....
    my tiny OEGB would never have a chance

7. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    Yes, yes...they can if they have a big determination for a little guy.
    I have Bantam Cochin x Ameraucanas hatching Sunday b/c my little Bantam Roo
    took possession a trio of hens. I am sure they will be adorable and I incubated them as an experiment b/c the curiosity was killing me and I thought it was hysterical but he will be in with hens of his own breed very soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by